External filtre

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ashley73

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im in the market for an external filtre for a 3 ft tank, soon to be 5 ft. So i need one to cater for both. Any brand recomendations and personal experiences which might help.

Do you know how many gallons they are? If not, all the dimensions? Are you going to use it on this 3 foot tank then switch it to the 5 ft one once it is set up? It really depends what kind of filter you need if you are going to plant the tank or not, if you want one with not that much water flow, etc.

3ft / 50gal.. Swithing to 5ft later on.. African tank so i have no plants just rock/wood....

I would recommend an Aqua Clear 110 since your upgrading to a larger tank. I have 11 of them on my tanks, and I really like them. No filter cartridges to keep buying, and you can add other media to them if needed. My oldest one is an AC-500, and it,s still going strong.(y)

foster53 said:
I would recommend an Aqua Clear 110 since your upgrading to a larger tank. I have 11 of them on my tanks, and I really like them. No filter cartridges to keep buying, and you can add other media to them if needed. My oldest one is an AC-500, and it,s still going strong.(y)

Im thinking cannister filtre..

Ashley73 said:
Im thinking cannister filtre..

AC's are HOB canisters. I use them on my smaller community tanks and larger mbuna tank as well and love them. Very versatile. Are you just looking to NOT have something hanging on the back of the tank?

FishyBusiness said:
AC's are HOB canisters. I use them on my smaller community tanks and larger mbuna tank as well and love them. Very versatile. Are you just looking to NOT have something hanging on the back of the tank?

Yeah, just dont like the look

Rena makes a very good canister filter. I have 8 of them, and I have had no problems with them at all. Some of them are quite old!! Very easy to maintenance, and lots of room for extra media.

I bought a Aqua One Aquis Series 2 1250 today. Hooked up and running. Got for $159.95. Running well so far.

How often will i need to clean canister and swap the media out?

Also any thoughts in Ultramaxx "All in one filter media". Has anyone used it.

To keep nitrates low in my tank, I rinse all media every week and sqeeze/rinse all sponges when I do pWC. I also rotate changing out something each time. For instance, last week I replace a polishing pad, this week I replaced one of the long foams and changed out a chemipure. My nitrates are usually 10 or less.

Ashley73 said:
Do you rinse in fresh water or tank water?

Only tank water thats in the bucket. The point is not to make it all look brand new. You still want the BB in there, so rinsing the large particles out is the goal. If you use water with chlorine in it(like tap) you could kill the BB.

Have a fluval 406. They have 4 long sponges, then 2 small dense sponges, then I have 3 compartments of biomax, an 3 compartments of chemipure. Under the top 2 chemipure compartments there are 2 water polishing pads.

Never heard of chemipure.. Bought some Seachem Matrix yesterday. On day 10 tommorow of new filtre. Water has been beautifully clean.

Back
Top Bottom