Fan noise on Nova Extreme

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jawfishjunky

Aquarium Advice Regular
Right now I have the 48" single strip 2 x 54 watt Nova Extreme. The brightness is awesome, but it does run a bit hot and the fan is noisy.

A few naive things:

1) I was surprised that the light and fan were on seperate cords. Is it OK to run the light without the fan on? Maybe just run the fan when nobody is home and at night to cool the thing off from a hard days work?

2) I am going to upgrade to either the 6 x 54 or 8 x 54----so now I`m thinking the fan noise could be real bad on those. Anyone have any experience on this?

3) is there a way to cut down fan noise in general?

thanks for your patience..........

3) is there a way to cut down fan noise in general?

Prob get a quieter fan, I'm not sure the size/output/noise of the fans they use, but you could look into computer fans for quieter ones. In general the larger they are the more air they move and quieter they are.

If the air movement is more than adequate you could try reducing the voltage to it to slow it down.

I saw another member on another forum saying the same thing and wanting to cut out the hole where the vents are to reduce "whistling" which could be an option(just dont stick your finger in ther, lol). I have a feeling that the fans are cheap so are kinda loud.

Moving this to the appropiate forum. General hardware and equipment discussion.

Prob get a quieter fan, I'm not sure the size/output/noise of the fans they use, but you could look into computer fans for quieter ones. In general the larger they are the more air they move and quieter they are.

thanks for reply.....

1)How do you transplant a computer fan into a factory made Light Fixture?

2) Just talking about the actual gear here---is it OK to run the lights W/O the fan? In other words, can the fixture get hot without any danger to itself?

Back
Top Bottom