Fans On As Long As Lights Are On?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got my new CF fixture, and I was wondering if the fans always have to be on when the lights are on or if they can run half the time or what. The fans are quite loud and make the tank less enjoyable.

Heat will decrease the life of the balasts and also can build up and crack Versa glass tops.

i would buy some silent computer fans and swap them out for the ones that are currently in the fixture. I would also line the sides of the fan case with foam where it would touch and possible vibrate the wall of the fixture. Also some computer fans come with rubber mounting screws which would decrease vibration passed into the fixture

Moved to hardware.

I have my 130 watt fixture up on the legs. I find it does not seem to make much of a difference maybe a degree or two if the fans are on or not.

You could experiment with it. Just make sure you only experiment when you are home.

Thanks. I will check it out.

Any recommendations as to how to check the temperature? I have digital thermometers at work that are designed for industrial process, but they measure air temperature fine when just laying out. Can I just lay it under the lighting? Is that the best place to measure?

Back
Top Bottom