Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gman42

Aquarium Advice Addict
MY ac50 broke, and i need a new filter for my 40g african cichlid tank. I have an aqueon 10 filter on it, and my back up whisper 20 with my ac50 filter media in it. I was thinking of getting this canister filter. Its cheap, but ive heard good reviews on it. If u have any input on the canister filter, or a good filter that i could get( under $80), it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00892EN22/ref=mp_s_a_5?pi=75x75&qid=1344807175&sr=8-5

HUKIT said:
I have no experience with those but for another $20 I'd get the Fluval. They're quiet, reliable, and you can get parts almost anywhere. I'd get the 305 over the 306 to save some money.

Fluval 305 External Canister Filter - 110V, 260 gallons per hour: Amazon.com: Pet Supplies

+1 if you can do a canister you and your fish will much happier IMO. Fluval makes a solid canister is so does Rena. I have a Fuval fx5 and glad I went the canister route. I do still have my AC110 for different media as its easier to get to. I like using polishing pads etc..

Thank you for the input, im going to order the filter tonight, and hopefully get it soon. Ill post which filter i decide on later.

Ive been hearing really bad reviews on the fluval. Ppl r saying it will lose all power after a year. Idk which one too get

Ive been hearing really bad reviews on the fluval. Ppl r saying it will lose all power after a year. Idk which one too get

Nonsense, I've had Fluvals running for 8-10 years. I've got some older 403's still running. I think most experienced hobbyist won't have any issues, it's the ones who don't take care things such as maintenance that have issues.

Thanks for the quick response, that makes me feel better. What kind of maitenance do you do?

Just normal routines such like rinsing media and sponges, keeping impeller and shaft clean of sand, and keeping the seals lubricated. With these simple steps which takes roughly 10-20 minutes will ensure your unit runs for many years to come. I've been running Fluval canisters exclusively for over 15 years.

Thank you for the info, i greatly appreciate you telling me about this filter. I just ordered it with free shipping, so it shoud arrive between aug 17-22. Which isnt too bad.
Now i have to play the waiting game lol.

I have one more question, my ac50's filter media is in a whisper 20 to keep the bacteria alive. My question is should i put the media in the fluval baskets when they arrive, or should i keep the media in the whisper while he fluval gets seeded. The thing is idk if i have enough room for all of these filters in my tank

Yes I would add the old media with the new Biomax media that will come with the 305, then after a couple of weeks you can remove the old stuff if you need it somewhere else.

well i got the filter, all was good.
but my dad broke the motor, by not putting he prop cover on wrong, and forcing the top on. the motor made a ton of loud noises, and its broke..
i called rhe number and it turned out that they just closed 5 minutes before i called.
so this day has sucked.
will they give me a new filter, or motor?
am i going to have to tell them that the prop broke so i can get it back?
i spent all my money on this and i cant waste anymore money.

Wow that sucks, I'm sure he feels horrible about it as well. Fluval has great customer service so I think I would say it was broken already, I hate when people do that since it raises the cost of products but in this situation that's what I'd do. Any chance to fix it? Maybe send me some pictures if your like.

Yea, it doest look any different than normal, it is just very loud, and rattly.

Yea, it was primed. I watched the video. He haf the impellor cover on wrong, and it was sticking out, and he forced the lid on.

If its just a broken impeller cover those are fairly cheap around $10, I can't see damaging the motor from that. The impeller cover should have broken much quicker than the motor itself.

Nothing looks broke, but the filter is super loud, and rattles alot. He cover is in perfect shape, but the motor may be broke or something.
How would i get a new motor?

I also tried it a second time and primed it until all bubbles were out.
When i took the hoses off i drained it and it was full.
The motor still seemed loud

Back
Top Bottom