Filter advice 29 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishguy760

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I bought a Aqueon 29 gal deluxe kit 10 months ago and now I want to upgrade my filter whats a good filter for my tank? I currently have 5 tiger barbs and 3 pictus catfish.

I have used a Marineland Penguin bio-wheel 200 in my 29g tank for the past few years and it has been good to me. It does a great job of keeping the water crystal clear despite a heavy bio-load.

The replacement cartridges are about $8 for 3 of them - so I bought bulk foam/floss and charcoal from my LFS, and make my own to save $ :D

How many litres/gallons an hour does that turn over? Why tank size is it rated up to?

Thankyou. Just working out what filtration people actually run. 200gals that's roughly 909 litres, so roughly a 1000 litres an hour for a 30gal setup, so 333.3 per 10gals. Thanks again.

I ran an ac 30 with a corner filter in mine. Water quality was amazing and the rams showed so much colour as well. Even when I had to re-home them. They didn't seemed stressed or anything! An ac 70 would work great as well and be easier to clean tthen the two. I hated cleaning my corner filter. All the tanks in this house right now have a hang of the back filter(hob) aquaclear. Great filters IMO

So along the same Vein as the OP, i also have a 29 gallon tank, but from what i have read, my tank is horribly overstocked, i have a 2-3inch Common goldfish, a tiny(an inch or less) Black Moor Goldfish and a 1-1.5 inch Fantail Goldfish...they are all very young

I currently have a Top Fin 30(i've read it's the same as the Classic Whisper 30) and WILL be upgrading within the next couple days....

Would you Also recommend a Aquaclear 70 for me? or with Goldfish would it be better to go with something like the Aquaclear 110, i'm just a little worried the current will be too much since the Goldfish are so young

Ridewithme38 - I dont use an Aquaclear, but have 2 that came with the (used) tank I bought... one day I plan on setting them up.

In the meantime, an Aquaclear 70 would be a great choice for a 29 gallon. Its a little overkill, but you can never have enough filtration, especially seeing your high bio-load. The Aquaclear 70 is rated for up to a 70g tank, btw.

One thing Ive noticed about the Aquaclear, is the media is really cheap! And people rave about their performance.

I use AC110 on my 29 and 33's but I love overkill with filtration I use 2 fx5's on my heavy stocked 80 gallon

I say go as big as you budget allows and if the current is too much you can always find a way to slow it down

I have used a Marineland Penguin bio-wheel 200 in my 29g tank for the past few years and it has been good to me.:)

I use the penguin 350 for mine. Love the bio wheel hob. Used them for yrs.

I say double what the filter claims. If the filter says up to 70 then I would use it on a 29 gallon, which is what I did when I bought my penguin.

Back
Top Bottom