Filter Advice for New Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wikkedj

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Good Morning!

I'm looking for filter advice on a new 75G community tank the wife and I are setting up in spring. This is our first 'big tank' but we have kept several smaller tanks over the years.

We're planning on a moderate to heavily planted tank - a school or two of smaller tetras (still looking at types) a rubbernose pleco, a small group of mollies, some pygmy cories, amano shrimp and/or snails....still messing around on aquarium advisor with exact numbers and load. We're pretty diligent about weekly water changes.

My main question I guess is - will two (or more) large sponge filters suffice or should I be looking at something bigger....hang on back...canister....a combination....something else I don't even know exists? Any advice would be appreciated.

One of the aspects of fish keeping I'm starting to develop a deep appreciation of is filtration. Depending on the conditions you find yourself in, filtration can exist as unbelievably complex to dirt simple, all driven by your temperament. If I were in your place, as you describe it, I'd go for a sump. Why? The sheer flexibility of the platform, which to me means a chance to fine tune easily should I need\want to. Sure, you can use other methods or combinations to end up the same way.

So wik, which method/approach do you lean towards?

Only thing i would say is for a sump you either need to drill the tank and put in an overflow box or get a hang on back overflow box. Sump will be great, increases your water volume, loads of room for filter media. Needs a little more technical input than more traditional filters. If you dont have a tank already though, getting something sump ready is easily an option for you.

If you wanted a simpler option, i would go with a pair of canisters to give you good flow around the larger tank size and some redundancy.

Last edited:
Only thing i would say is for a sump you either need to drill the tank and put in an overflow box or get a hang on back overflow box. Sump will be great, increases your water volume, loads of room for filter media. Needs a little more technical input than more traditional filters. If you dont have a tank already though, getting something sump ready is easily an option for you.

Of my myriad experiences I ran a 75g saltwater acrylic with a sump loaded by an overflow with an eheim pump. To make the situation sweeter I ran a skimmer driven by an ozone generator, until my dog started to develop eye infections. :blink: As complex as this kit was 25-years ago, it's a toy compared to contemporary sump tech. While my needs are met handily by my current kit (125g+FX6+FX4+800W heater+Maxpect XF350 flow pump). My goal in responding to wik the way I have was to illicit more information from a person whos 1st post had hung-out unanswered for so long.

Back
Top Bottom