Filter and water flow questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bucsnut79

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I currently have a 30 gallon FW cube. I was planning on setting up a 90 gallon SW tank. I built a stand for it and then was able to find a great deal on a 110 gallon that would fit the stand I built. With the tank came a lot of extra "stuff". The stuff included a Fluval 405 canister, a Magnum 350, an Emperor 400, over 8 48" T5 coralife bulbs and powerstrips with ballasts and all.

I have now decided to go with FW in the 110 gallon, and turn my 30 gallon cube into a small salt tank.

My question is, which of the 3 filters is going to be my best bet? Is it possible to over filtrate? I also have 4 powerheads that were included with the tank. Is there an amount of water that needs to be turned over in a FW tank?

well in the 110 you could really run all 3. you cant really over filter but you can have too much flow. the magnum 350 are great for polishing the water. i personally like the quick releases so thats why i dont use the mags. the t5 fixture would be great for plants though you would only want to run a couple of the bulbs. the power heads can be used in fw if you needed them. power heads in fw are great for eliminating dead spots.

I agree with the above. Use the power head and the mag with the 110 gal. That leaves the fluval for the cube...

Use all three. You would probably be better off usiing at least one or two of those powerheads in the reef tank depending on the pump flow rates. If it matters I would use powerheads on the fw tank that you can have a venturi air input on to aid in aeration.

Back
Top Bottom