Filter Cartridge DIY-ed into a sponge filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just cut a piece of the HBH pad to fit in the frame that holds the cartridge. I make it a bit bigger since the pad seems to shrink a bit after it's soaking wet.

Mr. Limpet said:
I just cut a piece of the HBH pad to fit in the frame that holds the cartridge. I make it a bit bigger since the pad seems to shrink a bit after it's soaking wet.

Oh ok, do you put the air stone inside the bag?

dollabill420 said:
I put a bunch of filter wool in a filter bag and rinse it off every once in a while (with tank water of course)
I <3 poly fill lol

Can you get filter wool at the LFS?

Oh ok, do you put the air stone inside the bag?

Air stone? Bag? Must be another thread lol.

Poly-fil can be gotten at a craft or fabric store for 1/2 the price, because it doesn't say aquarium on it. Get the "Fairfield" brand, or just make sure it doesn't have additives like fire retardant or mildew reducers.

I thought sponge filters used an air pump?

Humm... didn't say anything about a sponge filter, but yes they do need an air pump from what I've seen. Only that would be separate filtration from the Aqueon wouldn't it? I use the HBH filter pad in place of the over priced, carbon filled cartridges in my Aqueon filter (well did, it's in the garage now).

Mr. Limpet said:
Humm... didn't say anything about a sponge filter, but yes they do need an air pump from what I've seen. Only that would be separate filtration from the Aqueon wouldn't it. I use the HBH filter pad in place of the over priced, carbon filled cartridges in my Aqueon filter (well did, it's in the garage now).

My question was, could I take a single filter cartridge, and turn that into a sponge filter sortve. For example put the filter into the tank, and have the air pump suck in the particles. Or would this be a waste of time, and wouldn't actually work?

I dont think you could make that work. You'd need some sort of tube to create the lift that pulls the water through the filter pad... and, well, a sponge filter would be cheaper ($8 or so?) and easier (much easier!). Plus, sponges on sponge filters are way better than a filter cartridge IMO

mfdrookie516 said:
I dont think you could make that work. You'd need some sort of tube to create the lift that pulls the water through the filter pad... and, well, a sponge filter would be cheaper ($8 or so?) and easier (much easier!). Plus, sponges on sponge filters are way better than a filter cartridge IMO

Ok, thank you! :) I was trying to think of doing something different. Thanks for answering.

My question was, could I take a single filter cartridge, and turn that into a sponge filter sortve. For example put the filter into the tank, and have the air pump suck in the particles. Or would this be a waste of time, and wouldn't actually work?

Oh lol. I thought you wanted to put some sponge into your Aqueon filter :p. Why use overpriced cartridges for a sponge filter? What size tank is this for? Why not get an Aqua Clear power filter?

I'd say no, it'd be a pain to try and retro fit a cartridge into a sponge filter IMO. I'd think you could buy a whole sponge filter unit for the cost of a box of cartridges.

Mr. Limpet said:
Oh lol. I thought you wanted to put some sponge into your Aqueon filter :p. Why use overpriced cartridges for a sponge filter? What size tank is this for? Why not get an Aqua Clear power filter?

I'd say no, it'd be a pain to try and retro fit a cartridge into a sponge filter IMO. I'd think you could buy a whole sponge filter unit for the cost of a box of cartridges.

Sorry for the confusion, its for a two gallon.

If you rigged a tube to the cartridge and put air tubing attached to the side that puts bubbles into the tube in theory would work, probably cheaper to buy one though, but not as fun ;p

Back
Top Bottom