Filter Changes: how often?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScumbagSaV

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I was wondering what one would suggest for changing your filter? I have heard every 2-3 weeks but I have also heard every few months.
I know it probably depends on bio loads, types of fish, & the size of the tank but just curious.
If it would help any, I personally have a 3 gallon w/ a betta & a 10 gallon that is currently cycling.

No problem. The bacterial colony lives mostly in the filter. If you keep replacing it then you keep resetting the cycle. Very stressful for the fish.

Ok that's very good to know! Glad I asked on here first haha Would you or anyone possibly recommend a quick safe cycling method as well as any good choice fish for a new 10 gallon?

The best way to speed up a cycle is to add seeded material. Used filter media is by far the best to use. Substrate hanging in a bag next to filter or in the filter would be the next suggestion. Decor from an established tank can help also. The more bacteria you can get in there the better. I like to fish-in cycle with seeded media. Stock very lightly and watch for ammonia and nitrite spikes.
There are heaps of 10g stock threads on the forum. Plenty of suggestions. Most go with a school of nano fish and a small centre piece like a small gourami or betta. Depending on other stock small cory species or shrimp can work for bottom dwellers.

I was able to grab a piece of decor from a friends previous cycled tank setup as well as some gravel so I'm working that in as we speak. Wish me luck! :)

Back
Top Bottom