Filter Comparison

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomH

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Folks,

I am interested in feedback about the best cannister filter for a 120 gallon freshwater community tank. I am currently running a Cascade 1500 which requires frequent changes and still leaves an amount of particulate matter suspended in the water. Would an upgrade to an Eheim 2028 Pro decrease the particulate content? Is the Eheim worth the extra expense over the Cascade?

Open to any and all suggestions.

Tom Henrique

I will always recommend eheims. Personally, I prefer the 'classic' canister series from Eheim...massive media capability, and they will run for decades. Add an Eheim to your tank, and you will not be disappointed.

The cascade filter doesn't have enough GPH to completely reduce particulate. I have a 60 gallon tank with an Ehiem 2026, an Aqua Clear 500 and a Hot Magnum. Together they theoretically produce over 1000 gph of flow. I run my tank over capacity with frequent water changes and have super clear water.

If I where you I'd run both your cascade and the Ehiem together to get the best results. You can never have to much filtration and one filter acts as a backup for the other.

Folks,

Thanks for the input.

What would you consider the minimum flow needed for a 120 gal aquarium?

Thanks again,
Tom Henrique

I saw a rule of thumb for this. 4x to 8x the tank size in gallons per hour. So 480 to 960 gph. Your Cascade 1500 is rated at 400gph.

Does the Cascade bypass some water? Some do when they start to clog. Either that or you dont have a fine enough media to trap the small stuff. Add to that not enough gph water flow.
A second filter would be best for this size tank. A model in the 200 to 400 gph range will do fine.
Etheim, Filstar, Fluval or another Cascade.

Or you could use a HOB (power filter) instead.
Aquaclear AC300 Maximum Output: 300 U.S. gal. per hour or the AC500 Maximum Output: 500 U.S. gal. per hour.
Emperor 400 Flow is 400 GPH or the 280 Flow is 280 GPH.

There seems to be several people that use the canister and hob combo.

Filer flow rate

Chasgood,

Thanks for the valuable info, I will add filtration as recommended.

Tom Henrique

When a company rates a filter for up to a certain size tank it is hard to see how they came up with it. That Cascade may hold enough filter media and house bacteria for a 400gal tank. But the flow rate reduces its real effectiveness.
On top of that some companys rate the gph with no media and under ideal conditions. Add media and hoses and the flow may be half what it is rated at.

Back
Top Bottom