filter died what to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ttopmustanggt88

Aquarium Advice Regular
right now i have a 55 gallon mbuna cichlid tank with rena xp2 and a emp400 my whisper 30-60 just died. what filter would you put on this tank to replace the 30-60. im thinking either another emp400 or possibly another xp2?? i know i probally dont need a third filter but i like the safety of it. but which would you guys get? thanks

You really don't need a third filter but if you really want one I guess you can put one on it. IMO I would get an Aqua Clear that is rated at the same gph as your whisper was. I have an aqua clear and they are almost silent.

You have adequate filtration the only thing a third filter is going to do is move more water. But like I said if you really want one go for it. Extra filters are always helpful if you need to put one on a QT tank or something like that.

Well, while it's hard to over filter a cichlid tank, I think you have plenty with the Rena and the Emp. I don't think you'll gain anything as far as water quality goes by replacing the Whisper. However, if you want another HOB filter, I'd go with another Emp 400. IMO, this is the best HOB filter available. Also, in the unlikely event that both of your HOB filters failed, you could use parts from one to get the other going again. I have Emp 400's that have been running for years with no problems.

I'd suggest going with a filter that will give you more room for biological bacteria and/or space to customize filtration if the need ever arises. A good HOB filter for this are the Aqua Clears. Instead of using the sponge, carbon and zeolite pouches they come with, use the filter for bio media use only whether to improve on nitrifying activity or for absorbing excess waste.

I think the Marineland H.O.T Canister Filters that hang on the back are the best carbon filters. It pumps out 250 gph and is very easy to maintain. You can get one at www.bigalsonline.com for like $50 including shipping and handling. It's around half the price of just about any other petstore.

Wow, that's a lot of filtration. I have one large canister on my 80 gal Mbuna tank. Each basket is filled with ceramic media and all has been well for years. Go with more filtration if that will give you peace of mind.

The media baskets that come with the Emp 400's will work with almost any media. You can get extra baskets from Marineland if you wanted to use it for biological/chemical media only. Although, the biowheels are so efficient, I couldn't see needing any extra bio filtration.

hrm.. that seems like a lot of filtration but like they say you can never over filtrate... im loving the emperor 400 really.. its a quiet filter and if you get two you can have four customizable media cartridges + what you have in the canister.. so I guess you can have de-nitrator and your tank will be perfect all the time!

I swear by the AC's. But in your case I think you should get the Emp400, so that you can, as loganj said, use part from one to fix the other. :wink:

well the canister has one tray of sponges then ceramic rings then filter floss, the emp just has the regular carbon cartridges i really just use it for the bio wheels and water movement.

Are you sure the filter died? Check for gunk built up around the impeller and motor housing. Sometimes if you just clean that out, it starts up again.

well this filter had got some sand in it when i switched from gravel to sand. my fault. ever since then it would make terrible noise and i would clean impeller and motor housing real good and it would be fine and then just do it all over again. this time the cleaning didnt work. i think it finally gave up. is it worth 16 bux to buy a new motor for a whisper 30-60 or just pay 45 bux for another emp 400 or another hob filter?

Back
Top Bottom