Filter Floss in an Eheim 2026 Canister Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hforney

Aquarium Advice Regular
The Eheim 2026 Canister Filter comes with two filter pads. A course pad at the bottom and a fine pad at the top. Whenever I clean my filter I rinse the course pad with clean water and replace it. Lately I have been using filter floss instead of the fine filter pad. Since Eheim only sells 1 course pad and 2 fine pads in a box I find this an economical way to manage my filter.

Are you using water straight from the tap to clean off the course pad? The bacteria in the pad may be killed off because of chlorine. You should rinse it in old tank water to try to preserve as much bacteria as possible. It sounds gross, but it'll help preserve the bateria.

Fishyfanatic said:
Are you using water straight from the tap to clean off the course pad? The bacteria in the pad may be killed off because of chlorine.

I have been using tap water. The Eheim uses the filter pads for mechanical filtration. When I clean the filter I always have either done a water change or topped off the tank and have added a declorinator.

I just couldn't see keep buying the combo packs. In no time at all I will have a stack of course pads with nothing to do with them. In addition to the Eheim I am using a Penguin 330 with dual bio wheels so I really didn't think I would have to worry about rinsing the course filter. Just a newbie experimenting.

Actually, you don't need to replace the filter floss/pads except for every couple months. It will get grungy and look gross, but they only need to be tossed when they are falling apart. The lfs and the manufactur will tell you to replace them at every water change, but remember, everytime you replace a filter pad, they are making money. It's the same thing with chemicals. If you go to the lfs and tell them you have high ammonia, they will tell you to use Ammo lock or Prime. This will only mask the problem temporarily. Water changes can do the same thing, and it's cheaper. You won't be subjecting the fish to any chemicals. If you get a cloudy tank, same thing. They will sell you chemicals when all you need to do is water changes, keep the lights off in the tank for a couple days and it will go away.

The water straight from the tap, when rinsed on the pads kills the bacteria that has formed on the pads. When it is swished around in used tank water or even dechlorinated water, the bacteria isn't killed off.

Fishyfanatic said:
Actually, you don't need to replace the filter floss/pads except for every couple months. It will get grungy and look gross, but they only need to be tossed when they are falling apart.

Thanks Fishy,

I was changing the floss every 2 weeks simple because it looked "grungy and gross". Now that you mention that the flow meter on the Eheim 2026 never indicated a slow flow, which the directions say is an indicator the filter is dirty. I have only had the filter running for 10 weeks and have changed the fine pad once and 3 filter floss changes. Maybe I am over doing it. I guess if I do like you say it would balance out. I am going to try waiting 2 months to change the fine pad and the second 2 months to change both pads.

Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fishyfanatic said:
The lfs and the manufactur will tell you to replace them at every water change, but remember, everytime you replace a filter pad, they are making money.

Funny you should mention that. I was in my LFS this week. People come from miles around to this shop because I believe they are the best in the state. What did I notice? All of the filter floss in the internal filters was in my opinion filthy dirty. So if it is a bad thing why don't they change it more often.

This is off topic, but I lucked out and they had true SAE's in stock! They were expensive but I hear they are great for hair algae.

I have SAE's in our 29 gal tank and have found them useless. Then again, we don't have a hair algae problem. The rubber pleco is working great though.

Over changing the filter floss/pads will cause the tank to go through min-cycles and extend the initial cycling stage. Each time the filter pads get changed or rinsed with clean water that has chlorine in it, the bacteria is in a sense being wiped clean. As you said, you are a newbie (as am I). There is so much to learn, and trust me, you'll never stop learning. I didn't know about the cycling stage until going through 3 tanks. And even then if someone had mentioned fishless cycling I would have thought they meant to have a tank without fish, ever. Good luck and at least you started off on the right foot with a canister. :D (y)

Back
Top Bottom