Filter flow enough?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cginflorida

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Nobody answered this yesterday, so I'll try rewording the question. :D

I want to reduce the current in my 10 gal to make my betta happier, but I have 4 otos in there. The filter is an AquaClear 20 which pumps 100 gph max, and 33 gph min. I also have an airstone going.

If I shut off the airstone and keep the filter flow control at minimum, would that be enough filtration and surface agitation for the otos? Or should I just turn off the airstone and keep the filter at max flow?

TIA

hmm id take out the airstone or put it on the same side as the filter. then put it to like 60-80 gph so then the betta will have some room on the other side. i got like a 5 inch ait stone in there and its on the same side as my filter. i got a penguin 125. my betta doesnt care much i dont think. just swims around the tank flaring without the gills every time he stops.

I think you could lower the flow and run the air stone, or lower the flow and not run the air stone, even. Try it out and see if there seems to be adequate water movement. It may be that you will be doing more frequent water changes this way.

What kind of fish do you have in the tank? Most fish can handle a 10 X turnover rate the AC Mini/20 would give you on full. The airstone does not do much for moving water and should not be needed with the AC Mini/20 on full. With the AC Mini/20 on the lowest setting, you could run into oxygen issues.

If you could rearrange the tank (by moving decorations or plants) so that one side of the tank was largely protected form the current (not isolating that side, but with enough obstructions the current could be slowed a lot), that might give your betta enough of a sanctuary to be happy. If your air stone creates a lot of current than having it on the side with the filter might be good, but if it's only a small current from the stone you could leave it on the opposite side from the filter to help maintin a smaller water current.

I'm leaving the filter on at full flow (100 gph for a 10 gal), and turned the airstone off. One side of the tank is now very calm. The betta does seem a lot happier, and thanks to everybody's answers I'm sure there's enough oxygen for the otos.

Thanks, all. :D

Back
Top Bottom