Filter for a 10 GAL?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PK Tester

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Could anyone point me towards a good filter for 10 gal aquarium? Thanks. My filter is dieing haha.

I like AquaClear filters. I have 2 AC200's and they have worked very well for me. I honestly don't have much to compare them to other than some Wisper filters that I got with kits though. When I was looking for a filter for my 5.5g they were recomended to me. I have a 200 on my 5.5 which is overkill but it does work very well :)

I have a Penguin125 on my 10g. Its over all pretty good. I am having probs with the Biowheel atm tho; I find the filter needs to be cleaned out often, or the buildup of gunk prevents the wheel from turning freely. I do like the Biowheels overall; with them I can change filters at whim if I wanted to and it doesn't affect the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels. I have never been impressed with the Whispers. AC's are also pretty good. You want a filter which is going to turn over 6-10x the tank amount per hour for good filtration.

I have a Penguin Minis on my 10 gal and 7 gal. They work very well and are quiet except for the sound of trickling water. Like Alli said, the Biowheels are nice because the biological filter is physically separate from the mechanical filter.

Trouble is, the biowheel will not rotate if the mechanical filter cartridge is very dirty - resulting in a mini cycle. Cleaning it buys you a few weeks at most, then you have to replace the cartridge, which can get expensive over the long haul.

I have no experience with the Aquaclears, but lots of people here swear by them.

Back
Top Bottom