FIlter for my 50 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big Ben

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well im setting everything up this weekend on my new used aquarium, I'm starting my first cichlid tank and i think im going with africans. THe dimensions are a little odd as it was customed made, it's 36 long by 24 deep by 12 high. I hear canisters are the best filter quality but I don't know if i can afford one right now. I'm interested in internal filters but I don't have a clue about what kind of surface movement they create if any. I'm also cool with going with a hang on filter as long as it gets the job done well. Any info about your experience with any type of filter would be really appreciated, Ben.

Well you can either go with a Hagen AquaClear or if you dont mind the sound of tricling water can go with a Marineland Emperor filter. I have a AQ and it does a great job of filtering. With both you have a choice of what media you choose to use so thats always a plus.

I'd probably go with the Aquaclear 110 (500 gph) or the Emperor 400 (400 gph) if you can't afford a canister. African cichlids are messy fish so shoot for about 10x per hour turnover. You can always upgrade to a canister later when you have more money. I would suggest ordering online, as you will save a lot of money that way.

the XP3 is only bout 104 shipped from big als if they still have them on sale, thats what i got for my 55 gallon discus tank

Thats what I payed at petsmart after printing the page off the web site.( I believe it was 189 other wise) Same price but without the wait if that helps.

yeah i went with the emperor 400, I hear good things about the biowheel and the multi stage filterting in the emperor 400, can't really afford the canisters right now. The turnover rate seems to be a little high for my 50 gal, but that can only help it right?

yeah you cant have to much filtration, but the Biowheel lets CO2 escape and that can hurt if you are planted, also the bio wheels need be checked up on to make sure they dont stop spinning

Trust me, if you going to keep Africans, the flow rate of the Emperor 400 won't be overkill. You'll be fine. I use an Emperor 400 and an Emperor 280 on my 55 gallon SA tank.

Back
Top Bottom