Filter/Heater Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HB87

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay... My heater on my 55 gallon aquarium has started not keeping the water temps at the right level. The water is always colder than it should be... Also my filter has quit working... Im still fairly new to fish keeping so i dont know which are good brands and which i should avoid...Can anyone give me suggestions on a good quality heater and filter system please?? Thanks!

Heater wise id look at a titanium heater... they don't burn out like the cheaper models and last a heck of alot longer. In terms of filters, if you are running a canister filter, id recommend fluval if possible, if running a hang on back filter, I've had great luck with Rena smartfilters and/or marineland penguin filters. Hope this helps

Idk about heaters, but for filters, many members use and recommend AquaClear filters. I just set up an AC 30 on my tank. For a 55g you could to the AquaClear 70 or 110.

As far as heaters go, the Aqueon Pro is a good medium priced heater. Like previously posted the Titanium heaters with outside temp controller are excellent heaters. For filters the Aqua Clears are great HOB filters. I like the Rena Filstar XP filters for canister filters. The are dependable, and very easy to service. I have used Fluval canister filters and don't care for them. Just my personal opinion.

I have used both the Filstar XP and the AquaClears. They are both fine filters. You just have to determine what type of filtration (HOB or Cannister) you want. I have just purchased an Aqueon Pro and it appears to be a decent heater. Get a good digital thermometer and you should be in great shape!

Okay thanks guys. Im heading to buy a new filter and heater now and ill look for the ones mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom