Filter help????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShawnKC

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was just recently given a Via Aqua VA-680 18 gallon tank. It's a beautiful oak tank with matching hood and stand. I will have to replace the fluorescent tubes, which should be no problem. It was apparently used previously for a terrarium because it's full of gravel, rocks and has cork bark glued to the back glass. I want to clean it up and use it as an aquarium but I don't understand the filter, it's built into the hood. It has a power head built in with a tube that attaches with an elbow to what looks like a rain bar, and then 2 chambers with sponge sheets and ceramic tube things and then a last chamber that is just a hole that looks like it empties back into the tank.
Can anyone help me to understand what I need to do to get this filter up and running? I'd appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• VA-680.jpg
    VA-680.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 217
OK after a bit more research and studying the hood/filter and I can see that the tube with the elbow that looked like a rain bar is the intake and the ceramic things are bio rings which will have to be replaced. Under the sponge sheet is a fiber pad but I have searched the internet and don't see replacements offered by anyone.

the last chamber looks as if something at one time fit in there. There is a cut out that appears to have been holding something. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• LAST CHAMBER.jpg
    LAST CHAMBER.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 156
That last chamber is supposed to house a discharge adapter but I will be darned if I can find any info on it or a replacement part. :(

Any idea what a discharge adapter is or what it looks like....or does??
It looks like there is a slot in the back of the housing for a power cord to go through, is it some type of pump?

This must be a really obscure filtration system. Over 50 people have read this thread and nobody has any idea how this works. I'm stumped. I can find nothing on line about in-hood filters. :banghead:
I was really hoping that I could get this up and running to start cycling, It's such a nice little tank it seems a waste not to use it as it's designed.

Hi mate,

The discharge section should have a little elbow that puts the water back into tank to give it a bit more circulation. It isn't essential.

I have a aqua one 620t which is very similar setup. Personally the hood filter wasn't great so I now am running a canister filter externally.

Thanks so much for the reply Syriix. I have sent e-mails to the Via Aqua company to see if it is a part I can order, if not or I don't get a reply maybe I can rig something with PVC. I was only planning to use it for a self cloning crayfish or perhaps a small colony of shrimp. It's only 18 gallons, but it's a nice looking tank and for free I couldn't pass it up.

No worries at all. Glad to help

Here is a diagram if it sheds any extra light.

Nobody can pass up freebie aquarium paraphernalia

Attachments

• image-2819691514.jpg
    image-2819691514.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 208
Once again, my thanks. That diagram was a big help in understanding the workings of this filter. I had no idea where the spray bar went. I will have to get an intake tube and cover the strainer with foam if I decide to go with shrimp.
I think I will be able to rig a PVC elbow for the discharge in the last chamber and just seal the other adjacent openings. Thanks again for your help, I truly appreciate you taking the time to scan that diagram.(y)

Attachments

• elbow.jpg
    elbow.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 160
I wish I had the knowledge and budget to make it a saltwater set up. It would be a nice size for a seahorse, although I've read that they are very tough to keep.

Same Tank

The knowledge is easy enough to come by. Plenty of helpful folks on these forums. As for the budget , that's a little tougher but you can purchase coral frags fairly cheap. Look on craigslist and you can usually find fellow hobbyist selling them much cheaper than you think, I have this same tank with a nice little nano reef going strong. Just my thoughts.

Cheers,
Cliff:)

Cliff, thanks for the craigslist insight. Do you think my replacing the missing discharge adapter with a simple PVC elbow would work?
I'd love to see a pic of your tank. Any chance you could post a shot?

Thanks,
Shawn

I wouldn't be too concerned about the return elbow. Or plugging up the extra holes. When I had my hood filter running there were extra holes as well. But as long as the water is getting back into the tank it doesn't really require direction.

Pic of my tank

Ill try to get a pic next weekend. It's true that as long as the water is making back into the tank you will be fine, however if your doing live coral they can benefit from the movement of water that might be achieved with the elbow if you can make it directional to provide a little flow over them.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the return elbow. Or plugging up the extra holes. When I had my hood filter running there were extra holes as well. But as long as the water is getting back into the tank it doesn't really require direction.

I just got a reply from the company that they have replacement parts, they will get back to me with a price. I'd rather have the proper parts for the filter but thanks for the feedback.(y)

Ill try to get a pic next weekend. It's true that as long as the water is making back into the tank you will be fine, however if your doing live coral they can benefit from the movement of water that might be achieved with the elbow if you can make it directional to provide a little flow over them.

Cliff, I look forward to your pic. I am going to stick with freshwater so coral won't be an issue but thanks for the info all the same.

Hi shawn

Did the company get back to u on a price as I am looking for the return elbow for my aqua one 620 tank and was wondering if it will also fit this

Dan, after waiting a week for a reply I got an e-mail from the company sales rep stating, and I quote, "You do not need that part as the water returns to the tank through the little holes under the filter." When I wrote back that I was still interested in getting the part because I wanted my filter to be complete,,,,no further replies were sent.:facepalm:
It seems rather odd that they would design a filter with an un-needed part, don't you think? Makes no sense to me.

Thanks for the reply, I find that very strange and perhaps unprofessional as they suggest a part made for their filter basically isn't needed, I would very much like this part to "complete" my filter because at the moment the water returns to the tank through a hole, basically it looks as though something is missing and does make it look incomplete.

Back
Top Bottom