filter issues!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keeper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So, I wake up this morning and my bio-wheel is making weird hissing noises and the bio-wheel is not turning. I have fixed the hissing problem but the bio-wheel still isn't turning. Any ideas on what could be the problem.(it is only about 1 month old)

Also, just to rub things in, my aquaclear mini stopped running on my QT tank. I can hear the hum of the motor but there is no suction. I have unplugged it for the meantime....any ideas on this one.(same as bio-wheel, only 1 month old)

Thanks

but the bio-wheel still isn't turning.
Mine does that from time to time. pull the bio-wheel out and clean off the ends of the "axel". I usually just use my fingers to do so. mine actually had blue plastic "caps" on the end of the axel. These were eventually lost, but the wheel still works fine with out them.

I can hear the hum of the motor but there is no suction.
Is the uptake tube clogged? This can kill your suction. You might also want to just re-prime the filter and start it up again.

i cleaned off the ends of the bio-wheel...hopefully this helps. As for the aqua-clear...i'm not even getting a humming when I plug it in..I think it is dead!!

Bingo....got the aqua-clear up and running...thanks folks. Any tricks on getting the bio-wheel to turn. I wiped off the ends, cleaned out the resevoir. I have full flow and still no turning.

Does the Bio Wheel spin with your finger? Does it appear to be weighted poorly? If one end just has too much gunk on it, swish the Bio Wheel around in some used tank water to get some of it off.

Grimlock....thank you. The bio-wheel was not balanced properly...had more gunk on one side and was getting bogged down. I had never thought to look at something like that. I'm all up and running now.(all freaked out over nothing) :oops:

Back
Top Bottom