Filter issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newbneedshelp

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got a Penguin 125 bio wheel filter and the bio wheel maked the filter very noisy and i am having trouble sleeping with it on, any sugestions on how to quiet it? thanks

My Penguin bio wheels are very quiet as long as the water level is high enough :wink:

Also, once the biowheel gets a good load of bacteria it will slow down and not be so noisy. Give it a couple of weeks.

I am having same problem with my emperor 280- too noisy biowheel !
Fortunately the tank is in my living room and I don't sleep there :)

There will always be some degree of splashing noise with a biowheel - that's the bacteria getting their breath of O2.

I unfortunately have my quiet as a mouse tank with a canister and no biowheel downstairs, and my Emperor biowheel tank upstairs in my office next to my bedroom, but I have grown used to the splashing, since it pales in comparison to the train. 8O

What type of noise are we speaking of ? If its the splashing of water thats annoying BrianNY mentioned the solution; raise the water level. If its other than splashing be sure the biowheel is seated properly on the filter housing.I wouldn't use any petroleum based lube such as vaseline on the bearings.Better off using a bit of vegetable oil.Like tank girl said splashing is good- you can see the oxygen bubbles created from it.

the water level unfortuneately must be very high to eliminate the water noise. I was worried how high it was when i first got mine. I was going to cut the bottom flange on my biowheel so the water would come straight down into the tank but then i was worried that there would not be enough backflow to spin the wheel. Aslo the water would not splash which is what you want. I got used to it now and it helps me sleep for i find it very soothing and relaxing. The more splashing the better for your tank!

Hey newbneedshelp, my pengiun 125 replaced the wifes anoying waterfall cd's at nighttime, it's actually far more soothing, and when we go on vacation, I find it hard to fall asleep without the bio-wheel noise, weird??? Maybe, but give it a chance, it just might grow on you!!!!

In an extreme situation you can always take the biowheels out at night, leaving them floating in the tank (don't ever let them dry out) and put them back on in the AM.

Back
Top Bottom