Filter Media...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But I don't understand why the filters aren't doing enough for me -- I am running two fairly powerful HOBs that are supposed to be turning over 800 something gallons per hour, so why isn't this by itself maintaining clear water? I just don't understand this...the AquaClear in it of itself should be a powerful enough filter to keep the water rather clear, no?

Of course filters can only do so much. There is *no* substitute for fresh water, none!
But water clarity is not the same as having no ammonia or nitrite, what was your latest test result saying?

PS, have you measured the flow rate of your filters?

Water changes man. I agree is it just your frustration with having a hard time doing the water changes? If so this is what I do.
img_1184991_0_486148cb05fdd377e30c083ef6519267.jpg

Use the hose and water pump to suck water out of your tank into the bucket until it's almost full then unplug the water pump and pull the hose out ofthe bucket to keep from it back syphoning. Get rid of how ever much water you need out of your tank. After that I put the fresh water (from the 5gal. Gas jug,notice the F for fresh water) into the bucket. Then I put the water pump into the bucket to pump the fresh water into the tank. You can go to lowes or somewhere similar to get nylon hose and you can get it up to however long you think you need I think mine is close to 3 feet. Any ways I feel it makes changing my water a whole lot easier. Ihope this helps you if your not already trying this method.

Of course filters can only do so much. There is *no* substitute for fresh water, none!
But water clarity is not the same as having no ammonia or nitrite, what was your latest test result saying?

PS, have you measured the flow rate of your filters?

I just attempted a NIGHTMARE of a water change last night -- I'll get to that in a new thread -- and haven't tested the water again...and no, I haven't measured the flow rate of my filters...how do I do that?

Why is your water changing always a disaster. Is it how you are transferring the water? Never did get a confirmation wether or not you tried my method or not.

Why is your water changing always a disaster. Is it how you are transferring the water? Never did get a confirmation wether or not you tried my method or not.

We can never get the syphon to start, and when we do, the splashing and turbulence the pumping motion causes creates flooding and all sorts of nightmares around the tank...then, I have to carry a heavy, overflowing bucket MULTIPLE TIMES, which is backbreaking, from the bathroom to the tank (for dumping old water and then replacing with new water), which causes spillage on the carpets on the way over. Now, after this last change, my AquaClear is making a noise it NEVER made before, and I can't correct it -- I'm getting REALLY tired of this; it's like every time I do a water change, something breaks or goes wrong, and it's enough already...now, we have to replace another broken glass top that cracked during this last water change, one of the filters aren't working right and the bubble wands aren't functioning on one side...

I don't think I'm cut out to keep a tank or fish; I have had absolutely NO luck since starting this tank, and the water STILL isn't clear or cycled. Perhaps my case is a good one for the Guiness Book of Records...

When you say syphon are you using the tubular thing that you use to clean the gravel with? I have a saltwater so I don't know the difference in cleaning the bed/gravel, but I do not try to clean mine. I believe with a freshwater you are/or should clean the bed. The reason I bring this up is bc I use the water pump instead of the syphon tube bc I don't clean my bed. Sounds like this is the reason to all the madness. In no means am I saying to NOT clean your bed.

When you say syphon are you using the tubular thing that you use to clean the gravel with? I have a saltwater so I don't know the difference in cleaning the bed/gravel, but I do not try to clean mine. I believe with a freshwater you are/or should clean the bed. The reason I bring this up is bc I use the water pump instead of the syphon tube bc I don't clean my bed. Sounds like this is the reason to all the madness. In no means am I saying to NOT clean your bed.

I don't know what you're saying with regard to the statements that follow, but yes, I am using the tubular thing...

He's saying that for just changing out the water - not vacuuming the gravel - you can just drop a powerhead with tubing attached to it into the tank and pump the water out. And then use the same setup to pump the water back in. That's what he's showing you in the picture. As I mentioned in another thread, you can slow down the rate the water comes back in by pinching the hose and direct the flow against the side glass... where it won't mess with the ornamental stuff in the tank.

I've never understood why a basic siphon won't work for you. You stick some tubing under the surface of the water. You put the opposite end of the tubing over a bucket, making sure it's below the surface of the water in the tank. Give that end of the tubing a good suck until you see the water come up and over the rim of the tank. Put the end of the tube in the bucket and the water flows. When you want it to stop, pull the tube out of the tank. Nothing to pump, nothing to plug in, nothing to clog up. I do it every week. What am I missing?

Siphons are basic physics. They work for everyone, anywhere. Even in Nevada. Good luck with your tank.

Apparently, not for everyone -- look back through past posts and you'll see a handful of members that mentioned problems with my specific Top Fin model.

I thank you for your luck wishes.

I am most likely going to give up on the tank -- it just wasn't meant to be for me.

Apparently, not for everyone -- look back through past posts and you'll see a handful of members that mentioned problems with my specific Top Fin model.

And if you look back at my past post, you'll see I'm talking about a basic siphon... not your specific Top Fin model. A basic siphon consists of a piece of tubing and that's it. Your lungs get it started and a bucket is handy to catch the water.

Perhaps you're right about giving it up. Hobbies are supposed to be relaxing. This doesn't seem to be the case in your situation.

And if you look back at my past post, you'll see I'm talking about a basic siphon... not your specific Top Fin model. A basic siphon consists of a piece of tubing and that's it. Your lungs get it started and a bucket is handy to catch the water.

Okay, but I was talking about the issues I've been having with the Top Fin model; I hadn't tried any other variations...

Perhaps you're right about giving it up. Hobbies are supposed to be relaxing. This doesn't seem to be the case in your situation.

This has been the furthest thing from relaxing to us -- how could constantly checking water conditions and chemistry, carrying buckets, looking for cloudy water status, making sure goldfish don't explode from overfeeding, toping off evaporated water levels, looking for algae crawling all over rather expensive ornaments, checking for strange odors, making sure tap water doesn't get into the filters to destroy so called "BB," checking water temperature, turning off filters and heaters and lights to drain for water changes just to turn everything back on again with equipment malfunctioning, splashes of filthy tank water all over expensive carpeting, crusty dirty salt deposits all over tank edges and cords, constantly worrying about water conditions and needing to drag out test kits every other day, wiping slime and gunk off glass tops from evaporation, praying that filter media doesn't get clogged too quick so you don't have to replace or swish it around in removed tank water and the systematic observance of a breakdown in fish's health after you went through all that be considered "relaxing?"

You really got me there...:roll:

Gee...ya think?

In all honesty, Kurt, I don't find any of what I just outlined relaxing in the most extreme sense of the term -- if you do, or others who are **** deep into this hobby do, well, I just don't know what to say. Worrying about this tank on a daily basis just doesn't warrant being a "relaxing hobby" to me; I can't even enjoy the fish because something is constantly going wrong with the hardware and/or biosystem within it.

How can that possibly define "relaxing"...

Back
Top Bottom