Filter media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zagz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anyone know if humidifier filters would be appropriate for filter media in HOB filters? They are not metal, have no additives that I have been able to locate but are thicker and more durable than filter floss. I was thinking of trying it as an alternative to filter floss as they could be rinsed more frequently and last longer in general.

Well I am going to soak it in hot water, no bleach, add dechlorinator and give it a try. I will try it on the frog tank first. They are the messiest guys I have.

The key in filter media is how fine it is, and how much surface area it offers. Most of the humidifier filters I've seen are rather course, and thus would fare better as mechanical filters (which catch the big stuff like plant material) rather than biological filters - so if you are using it with a finer material, it could be ok. Also, most humidifier filters have been treatd with an anti-microbial agent to deter mildew and mold, which would most likely hamper the growth of bacteria. It probably wouldn't hurt the fish, but it could really mess up your cycle. That's my opinion, anyway.

Realistically, though, humidifier filters are usually much more expensive than replacement cartridges for aquarium filters.

I plan on using it with a filter floss. I have sponges in the filter and will monitor parameters, excellent point thanks for bringing that up. I got a sheet of this stuff for $5.00 and it is 12"x 12" so I could cut it an used it for more than one filter. What I want to use it for mostly is the frog tank, because of floating plant matter. The filter has about the same coarse density as the sponges in my cannister filters. Coarser than filter floss but not as coarse as some humidifier filters I saw at the store. For $5 the experiment is worth it. I really appreciate the advice on the anti-microbial agents though. I will be keeping an eye out for any parameters that might suffer as a result.

Back
Top Bottom