Filter media in air powered filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gimmethatfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just ordered one of those Lee's Triple Flow corner filters for my 10G betta tank. I need to replace the current filter because I just hate it. The tank right now has 1 betta and 2 mystery snails in it, but the snails are going to be relocated. The tank will only ever have the 1 betta in it after the snails move out. I think this should do a fine job with the added benefit of acting as a bubbler, so I will only need the one area of water disturbance instead of having a filter and a bubble stone. I was going to DIY it with a nalgene bottle and a bubble stone, but I'm lazy and this was $6.

So - filter media and order? I have at my disposal: activated carbon pellets (which I have never used just have on hand if the need should arise), Eheim Ehfilav - crushed lava rock, several thicknesses of sponges, and a large bag of filter floss. This filter has just one compartment, but I can layer things. Am I getting too fancy for a single betta tank? I could just do a layer of lava rock under a wad of filter floss, but it seems like I should be making a sandwich of some kind here.

This is the filter.
Amazon.com: Lee's Triple-Flow Corner Filter, Small: Pet Supplies

A little of the crushed lava rock on the bottom, and filter floss on top is pretty basic. Those corner filters are really old school. That was the only filter available when I first started out.

I use some gravel, dollar store bot scrubbers and filter floss in mine. Pretty basic and it works pretty good. Old school for sure.

Should work well. Ones I had were always some sort of biomedia and then usually cotton wool for cleaning water.

A non-return valve on the airline is handy to stop water flowing back into the air pump.

I do have a check valve on my current air pump. The pump says it's rated up to 40G, so I think it should do a good job in the filter. Dollar store pot scrubbers - do you mean those like plastic mesh things in the rainbow colors? I can see how that would provide a ton of surface area.

I do have a check valve on my current air pump. The pump says it's rated up to 40G, so I think it should do a good job in the filter. Dollar store pot scrubbers - do you mean those like plastic mesh things in the rainbow colors? I can see how that would provide a ton of surface area.

yep those are the ones. great area for beneficial bacteria to grow

Back
Top Bottom