Filter Noise - Normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish4phil

Aquarium Advice Freak
New here! And I have my first aquarium all set up & cycling. I'm on day 2, been filtering for 12 hours. I have a 36 Gallon Bow Front which looks really nice. For my filter, I went with a Penn Plax Cascade 700 Canister Filter. As far as noise, I don't know what "normal" is, or when others say this filter is "quiet" and "silent", but I think mine is far from that... I can hear my filter from the top of the stairs on the 2nd floor upstairs (tank is on first floor). As the tank is in the living room with the TV, sitting on the couch I can hear the filter pretty loud. The noise is definitely coming from the filter unit itself (motor?), not any rattling from the tubes, etc.

When my home's furnace is on and heat is coming out, the heat is louder than the filter. But the filter is louder than the refrigerator. Here is a video I tried to take of the filter's noise. The filter seems louder than in this video, but my question is, is this normal? Should I hear the filter when standing next to the tank/or standing at the top of the stairs on the 2nd floor?

Penn Plax Cascade 700 Filter Noise - YouTube

Mine is also behind a cabinet door and I'm told it is about the same hum as the refrigerator. Basically a background hum. Mine are generally noisy on start-up and then settle down - I assume as air is purged and the impeller settles in. You could try checking the impeller is seated properly. Also I believe rocking the canister gently may free any trapped air. I usually switch mine on and off a few times and find that helps.

New here! And I have my first aquarium all set up & cycling. I'm on day 2, been filtering for 12 hours. I have a 36 Gallon Bow Front which looks really nice. For my filter, I went with a Penn Plax Cascade 700 Canister Filter. As far as noise, I don't know what "normal" is, or when others say this filter is "quiet" and "silent", but I think mine is far from that... I can hear my filter from the top of the stairs on the 2nd floor upstairs (tank is on first floor). As the tank is in the living room with the TV, sitting on the couch I can hear the filter pretty loud. The noise is definitely coming from the filter unit itself (motor?), not any rattling from the tubes, etc.

When my home's furnace is on and heat is coming out, the heat is louder than the filter. But the filter is louder than the refrigerator. Here is a video I tried to take of the filter's noise. The filter seems louder than in this video, but my question is, is this normal? Should I hear the filter when standing next to the tank/or standing at the top of the stairs on the 2nd floor?

Penn Plax Cascade 700 Filter Noise - YouTube
If you are new to filters, HOBS or canisters, it can be hard to tell what is loud or quiet. Some filters can take a few weeks to 'break in'. You shouldn't be able to hear it from upstairs though. Try folding a towel in two or three and placing it under the filter and see does that help with the noise.
If that doesn't help, remove the impella and put a layer of Vaseline on it. This can help with the noise too....
It should sound like a gentle hum. My cheap HOB sounded VERY loud at first(i'm used to filters) but after 2-4 wks I have to check if it's actually on!!

I would also do as Delapool suggested and gently rock it from side to side to release any trapped air. Turning it off for a few minutes and turn back on. Repeat this a few times and it might help too.....

I appreciate the replies, especially what a filter "should" sound like. As this is my first aquarium, I've never owned a HOB or canister. I've read so many reviews that (like you mentioned) they don't know if the filter is even on. Enter my concern from above.

I vaselined, gently moved it side to side, turned off then on several times, put a towel underneath. I think the sound is better. ESPECIALLY compared to my air pump (man that is annoying! (internal kind for a volcano)). Hopefully the noise will quiet down more and more.

I appreciate the replies, especially what a filter "should" sound like. As this is my first aquarium, I've never owned a HOB or canister. I've read so many reviews that (like you mentioned) they don't know if the filter is even on. Enter my concern from above.

I vaselined, gently moved it side to side, turned off then on several times, put a towel underneath. I think the sound is better. ESPECIALLY compared to my air pump (man that is annoying! (internal kind for a volcano)). Hopefully the noise will quiet down more and more.
Believe it or not, you will get used to the 'noise' very quickly. It should be a low hum. The air pumps can be very annoying. I used to use one but I got sick of the noise and mine was a top of the range Eheim pump. Air-Stones are purely cosmetic, so if you get tired of the noise of it, you can remove it without any harm.
Can you post a picture of your air pump. I might have an idea to help you with that.....

Believe it or not, you will get used to the 'noise' very quickly. It should be a low hum. The air pumps can be very annoying. I used to use one but I got sick of the noise and mine was a top of the range Eheim pump. Air-Stones are purely cosmetic, so if you get tired of the noise of it, you can remove it without any harm.
Can you post a picture of your air pump. I might have an idea to help you with that.....

Here is what I bought: Volcano Bubbler

Came with this pump: Pump Link

if you ask me they are not silent. I have an eheim pro 3e canister which is considered a very quiet filter, and its definitely louder than my refrigerator. I can hear a hum sitting on the couch 10-12ft away, but i cannot hear it from another room. One thing I noticed with my canister was that it was more quiet when it was packed full of bio media and filter floss/pads. I wanted more flow so i removed some media and while i did get more flow i also got more noise from the motor.

beware putting a tank in your bedroom. After you get used to the filter noise and water trickle putting you sleep, you will have a hard time falling asleep anywhere else.

if you ask me they are not silent. I have an eheim pro 3e canister which is considered a very quiet filter, and its definitely louder than my refrigerator. I can hear a hum sitting on the couch 10-12ft away, but i cannot hear it from another room. One thing I noticed with my canister was that it was more quiet when it was packed full of bio media and filter floss/pads. I wanted more flow so i removed some media and while i did get more flow i also got more noise from the motor.

beware putting a tank in your bedroom. After you get used to the filter noise and water trickle putting you sleep, you will have a hard time falling asleep anywhere else.
They are indeed not silent but I think over a short time, you get used to the noise and struggle to hear it.
I completely agree with you on the bedroom thing. I had one in my room for years when I lived at home and when I moved out I struggled to sleep without it.....

But the noise of an air pump is harder to get used to? I love the way it looks, but is it worth the noise? Hmm

But the noise of an air pump is harder to get used to? I love the way it looks, but is it worth the noise? Hmm
I was thinking it was a different type. I'm not sure if this might help, it did on my external pump. I used a medium size cable tie and put it around the center of the pump and tightened it. This reduces the vibration. I'm not sure if it will work in this situation but you could give it a go. It could be a cheap fix. It should not be that noisy, as it's internal??

The internal air pump doesn't rattle the house, but it's at the point or near the point of annoying when watching TV 8 feet from the tank. Thanks for the tip -- I'll check it out. Though I don't have anything to compare it to

The internal air pump doesn't rattle the house, but it's at the point or near the point of annoying when watching TV 8 feet from the tank. Thanks for the tip -- I'll check it out. Though I don't have anything to compare it to
Do you have it for visual pleasure or to aerate the water??

My hob filter is silent if I take the lid off ... My tanks are in my room but I still use ear plugs cuz the sound of the bubbler

In that case you can remove the airpump if it gets too annoying.
The fish don't enjoy the bubble show. It's just for you. :)

Good point :) Do the fish "not" enjoy the bubbles?

Fishlover3578 said:
My hob filter is silent if I take the lid off ... My tanks are in my room but I still use ear plugs cuz the sound of the bubbler

Ear plugs? Is this in your bedroom? Is this an external bubbler?

I use ear plugs when I sleep cuz I'm sensitive ... Bubbler is for fish not sure if they can go without .. Can they do well while I sleep ? I'm afraid to try

Back
Top Bottom