Filter Poll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which of these filters is the best?

• AquaClear 70--$23--up to 70 gallons

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Penguin 350B--$27--up to 75 gallons

• Emperor 400--$38--up to 80 gallons

• Total voters
I also went with the 110 you want as much filtration as you can possibly get.....you might even consider using a HOB and a cannister.

It’s not on your list but I used the Magnum 250 Pro for 8 years without any trouble keeping 8 large cichlids in a 55 gal. IMO it’s one of the best and only about $30 more then the ones you did list. The Magnum 350 Pro is even better and can be kept under the tank. It’s what I use on my SW tank now.

Both are very easy to maintain and I haven’t had to replace a single part.

Out of the ones you listed, I voted for the larger Aqua Clear. Africans are too messy and need the extra filtration.

Alright....Aquaclear 110 it is! Picking up the stand, filter, and pure ammonia tonight to get the cycle started! Was going to do the Bio-Spira thing, but I figure it's better to see a normal cycle happen, as I haven't yet. My 10 gallon w/fantails and pleco has been up and running 2 weeks now with no trace of nitrites or nitrates yet. When the ammonia gets over .5 ppm I do a 30% water change. This seems to be every 48 hrs or so. I imagine the 10 gallon will finish cycling long before the 55 gallon, so even though I'm doing a fishless cycle on the 55 gallon, I'm going to seed it with some gravel from the 10 gallon as soon as it's done cycling.

Wow...typing that out confused me. Hope that it's clear!

To seed a new tank, use filter media from an established setup; siphoning some muck from the gravel and adding it to the new tank will also help. I've set up several new tanks that way, didn't have to cycle them, and had no problems with water quality.

Simpte said:
Aquaclear is the best HOB IME (and I have quite a few HOB sitting in the closet now).

One word - Ebay. I got $30 for my old Whisper 60 on Ebay, people are dum

Wow... you could run a business that way. Just buy em new for 25 and sell em on ebay for 30 ;). Just to put in my 2 cents I would agree that the Aquaclear 110 is the way to go. Definately a good filter, and I have a 70 for my 29 gal and it's not too much so the 110 would be better for a 55 gal I'm sure.

i reccommend the emperor basically because with my experience with the aquaclears.... to put it bluntly.... they are terrible!

other ppl may have had better experiences with me, but i found they are worthless. I liked mine just to put ceramic rings in for biological filtration... but anything past that... i hate em'

rippin17 said:
i reccommend the emperor basically because with my experience with the aquaclears.... to put it bluntly.... they are terrible!

other ppl may have had better experiences with me, but i found they are worthless. I liked mine just to put ceramic rings in for biological filtration... but anything past that... i hate em'

You know, you are the only person that i have ever heard say that!

I went with the Aquaclear 110 and couldn't be happier. Also picked up a 200w heater, Coralife digital thermometer, some fake plants, and a fake centerpiece driftwood. Also snagged a twin tube light strip and some non-colored natural gravel. So, the tank is all set up now and I moved my pleco over to it. Seems to love the space, even though he's only about 2 inches long.

Back
Top Bottom