Filter problem Help needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ownedbycats

Aquarium Advice Activist
First things first:
Type of filter: Rena SMART30 HOB
Problem: The motor sounds like it's straining, even at maximum there is almost no flow, and there is a gurgling water noise coming from INSIDE the filter. Normally this filter is almost completely silent.

Things I Tried/Checked:
-I cleaned out the entire filter and rinsed the sponges. There are no blockages anywhere.
-the filter is level, not tilted
-the water level in the aquarium is level with the output, so that's not where the running water noise is coming from
-I checked that everything got put back in the filter the right way round
-it's not the impeller, if that gets clogged it makes a rattling noise.

Does anyone know what else might be causing the problem with my filter?

What is your substrate? If it's sand it can wear shown the impeller as it goes through the filter

It is sand, but the filter is only a year and a half old and I have a prefilter sponge. I removed and rinsed that sponge too. It might be part of what's slowing down the water flow, but it wasn't causing an extreme slow down before.

First things first:
Type of filter: Rena SMART30 HOB
Problem: The motor sounds like it's straining, even at maximum there is almost no flow, and there is a gurgling water noise coming from INSIDE the filter. Normally this filter is almost completely silent.

Things I Tried/Checked:
-I cleaned out the entire filter and rinsed the sponges. There are no blockages anywhere.
-the filter is level, not tilted
-the water level in the aquarium is level with the output, so that's not where the running water noise is coming from
-I checked that everything got put back in the filter the right way round
-it's not the impeller, if that gets clogged it makes a rattling noise.

Does anyone know what else might be causing the problem with my filter?
You could try removing all the filter media, storing it in some tank water. Fill up a container with some neat vinegar. Run the filter in the vinegar for a few hours, ideally over night. This should flush out anything that might be blocking the tube and/or motor....
Run some very warm water(with a double dose of declor) through the filter before putting back on the tank. Run it for 20-30 mins or until you can no longer smell the vinegar. If there is a blockage this should remove/dissolve it.

Back
Top Bottom