Filter problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eclipsense

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Okay so I recently replaced a Tetra walmart filter that had broken down after 7 years finally, I bought a marine land 225 I believe and it takes C filters. The water is crystal clear enough to be able to see through it from a distance and think no water is in there. I have 4 Corys, 2 plecos two cichlids, a JD, and two loaches. The filter seems to get full of what looks to be like mud in less then 3 or 4 days it keeps happening and it’s getting quiet hard seeing as I have to clean it every 4 days to keep the filter pushing out water I don’t know what it is or how to fix it. I really would rather not try to buy a new filter, but if I must I will. Also when the filters get that mud slug on it, it begins to push the water out of the intake. Below is a picture of the filter after 4 days.

Attachments

• ED539B99-C699-495C-910D-1BC9DCF81558.jpg
    ED539B99-C699-495C-910D-1BC9DCF81558.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 48
Forgot to mention it’s a fifty gallon

Attachments

• 3D13C69C-CB38-45ED-8155-917524AF2175.jpg
    3D13C69C-CB38-45ED-8155-917524AF2175.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 53
You sure that's a Mainland 225? I can't find that model number. Anywho, need to ditch those expensive cartridges and use your own media. To clear it up faster, might want to try just simple ploy fill in the Marineland filter. Once that poly fill is cleaner, remove it and fill the empty space with 10/20 ppi foam blocks. No cleaning for months now and clear water.

You sure that's a Mainland 225? I can't find that model number. Anywho, need to ditch those expensive cartridges and use your own media. To clear it up faster, might want to try just simple ploy fill in the Marineland filter. Once that poly fill is cleaner, remove it and fill the empty space with 10/20 ppi foam blocks. No cleaning for months now and clear water.

I’m still a little new to this can you dumb it down for me please and sorry it’s a 275 don’t know why I said 225

Hello, what @fishwonder is suggesting is that you can stop spending a bunch of money on cartridges, just buy a few things that cost less & last a lot longer to filter your tank just as good or better.
This is what I do. I empty filter chamber of cartridge, bio grid. Then I place a course sponge next to impeller box so water flows through it to catch muck(2 sponge for 5$ petco). Next to sponge I place 2 or 3 plastic pot scrubbers to hold beneficial bacteria(4pak for 1$). If you feel you need to filter water more you can use lrg bag of poly-fil quilt batting. Simply cut to sz & place between sponge & scrubbies(12$ Walmart). It's a big sheet that's 7.5ft wide & 9ft long it's just like the floss that covers stock cartridges.
In first pic you can see how I have mine setup, In second these are what I purchase & third is batting for added filtration.
I would squeeze scrubbies next to cartridge you are running now for a few wks so you don't lose you cycle. Hope this helps!!!!! 1587728987160.jpg1587730236052.jpgIMG_20200314_163000376.jpg

Hello, what @fishwonder is suggesting is that you can stop spending a bunch of money on cartridges, just buy a few things that cost less & last a lot longer to filter your tank just as good or better.
This is what I do. I empty filter chamber of cartridge, bio grid. Then I place a course sponge next to impeller box so water flows through it to catch muck(2 sponge for 5$ petco). Next to sponge I place 2 or 3 plastic pot scrubbers to hold beneficial bacteria(4pak for 1$). If you feel you need to filter water more you can use lrg bag of poly-fil quilt batting. Simply cut to sz & place between sponge & scrubbies(12$ Walmart). It's a big sheet that's 7.5ft wide & 9ft long it's just like the floss that covers stock cartridges.
In first pic you can see how I have mine setup, In second these are what I purchase & third is batting for added filtration.
I would squeeze scrubbies next to cartridge you are running now for a few wks so you don't lose you cycle. Hope this helps!!!!!

What @m.j.gomez shows is the perfect setup for any filter. Foam and pot scrubbies are the best media to use. Set yours up like his above.

Read labels on anything that is not marketed for aquarium use. I use all the products shown above but some contain moldicides and mildew preventers and some of the floss/pillow stuff has fire prevention chemicals. Just read the label carefully;)

Back
Top Bottom