Filter question!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarahsunshine

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, Newbie here... use small words so I can understand!!!

I'm currently setting up a 20g high tank, and want to put in a community like this:
AquStockImage.php

I am currently learing about filters. I have an old Aquaclear 300 (kijiji), and an Aquatech 5-15 (from an old 10g). The AC300 has a HUGE amount of flow, that may cause some problems, but I'm told it probably has the best filtration capacity. I just bought a AC20, thinking it would be best, but now I see that that was a mistake and will return it.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what a good filter would be
for a newbie who has never had success keeping fish alive for any length of time? I hesitate to go out and spend lots of money on a filter and/or fish when they just keep dying. It's a catch-22. I hope that getting cycling down and lots of water changes, and a decent but not too expensive filter will change all this. Then, if I can keep them alive for a while, I may get into things in a more expensive way (bigger tank, nice filter, bigger fish).

A good place to get stuff from would be good too - in Canada!

I would get a Aquaclear 30 or 50 depending on your desire to expand in the future.
Both have adjustable flow rates and are very quiet.

return the ac20 and get an ac30 or ac50.
your ac70 (ac300) may be a bit much for a 20g, but i would probably use it, personally. you can diffuse the output, and set the flow to its lowest rating (activating the re-filtration system built into the filter), and you should be fine with your current stock list.

return the ac20 and get an ac30 or ac50.
your ac70 (ac300) may be a bit much for a 20g, but i would probably use it, personally. you can diffuse the output, and set the flow to its lowest rating (activating the re-filtration system built into the filter), and you should be fine with your current stock list.

Oh, I didn't realize that you could adjust the flow on it... I'll check it out. I wouldn't mind saving up for fish and plants if the filters I have will work fine!

The smallest filter I run in a 20g is an AC50 (with custom plumbing), and it works perfectly. An AC70 might prove a bit much, but if you place plants or decor under the slide to diffuse the flow, it should be fine. You can also fashion your own DIY sponge or plastic diffuser on the slide to serve the same purpose of you're handy with stuff like that.

The smallest filter I run in a 20g is an AC50 (with custom plumbing), and it works perfectly. An AC70 might prove a bit much, but if you place plants or decor under the slide to diffuse the flow, it should be fine. You can also fashion your own DIY sponge or plastic diffuser on the slide to serve the same purpose of you're handy with stuff like that.

I can DIY just fine, but I don't know what I need to worry about as a newbie. Do you have a photo of some sort? would food grade silicone work to glue some sponge? what type of sponge is best?

if you are going to use a sponge to diffuse the flow, you dont want it to be glued directly to the filter. you will need to make something you can easily remove and clean, i would suggest going with some kind of eggcrate or plastic pegboard to hold the sponge, that way you can clean it.
as far as silicon, any 100% silicon will do. contractors silicon for sealing windows and doors are perfect, as long as it is 100% silicon, and doesnt contain any anti-mold/ anti-fungal additives (which it will say on the package). im not sure where youre located, or what you have availible to yoiu, but just about any hardware store will have what you need.

ok, so now I'm thinking a sort of holey container that holds a sponge, attached to the end of the slide.

I still wonder what kind of sponge is best. Just a regular no-soap etc... kitchen sponge?

ok, so now I'm thinking a sort of holey container that holds a sponge, attached to the end of the slide.

I still wonder what kind of sponge is best. Just a regular no-soap etc... kitchen sponge?

You have to be careful when you choose the right sponge. Some of them will kill your fishes. I remember reading an article about making a DIY sponge filter. He was purchasing a black one from Home Depot - the kind with no odor and no anti-bacteria chemicals in it.

Look for filter sponge at the LFS. It won't deteriorate like kitchen sponge and it's meant for an aquarium.

you could get a sponge meant for a canister filter, which mine are about a food long by an inch thick by 3 inches wide... then just cut to fit...

I used to get sponge media meant for the largest AquaClear filter. Its still not cheap but much cheaper than getting smaller sponges from LFS.

you dont even necessarily need to get a sponge. for a few dollars you can get enough poly fill to make a queen sized comforter. then you just add what you need, and if it gets dirty, throw it out and replace it.

you can get filter sponges and thick coarse filter pads from any good LFS.

Thanks, guys, for all your suggestions.

Unfortunately, the AC300 won't fit on our shelf, so it looks like I have to buy a new filter anyway. I think I'm going to get the Eheim 2213 kit (http://www.bigalsonline.ca/BigAlsCA/ctl3664/cp17898/si1319894/cl0/eheimfilter2213pluskit). Would this filter still be sufficient if I upgraded my tank to a 29g (high)? It's the only other aquarium that will fit in the space available...

Oh yes that would be a nice filter. You will also find that it is much quieter too. I have that one running in my bedroom and I cannot hear anything while sleeping. I'm sure you will like it.

Also check out http://www.jlaquatics.com, they sometimes have cheaper prices.

Back
Top Bottom