filter question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

0shayne0

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone, ive got a 4ft tank with fluval 305 on it. But I have a spare fluval 204, I was thinking about filling it with only wool and carbon so if I ever need to treat my tank I can just turn the 204 off as I will put carbon from 305 in. The 204.

My questions:
Will this clear up the floatinf particals in my tank?

Do you think this is a good idea?

Any advise would be appricated

Thanks

Dear Oshayneo,

Hmmmm. What's your gallon size 40? 55? and what's your bio-load. Also what do the floating particles look like? Adding more floss/wool will help to polish the water, but if the particles are a bit larger, more sponges may be needed. Or maybe there's crud in the hoses so....

If you have goldfish you probably should be using both filters (10Xgallon size recommended). Keeping carbon in only one and then using the non-carbon filter would work if you need to treat. (But you would have to keep running the carbon one somewhere with an ammonia source to keep it cycled.)

Hope this helps

The particals look like little specs, I have ceramic rings \ biorb filter rocks \ fine wool in the 305

And now in the 204 I have ceramic rings / wool / wool / carbon

Is this a good load out or shold I change it? Many thanks

Its 55 galon, I have cleaned pipes out, and I have a veraity of sharks, loachs and plecos

hmmmm. Did you rinse your ceramic rings & biorb rocks first? Sometimes the they throw off stuff when you rinse them. I guess the only change I would make is I would have some coarse sponge somewhere in the bottom of one of the filters to catch big stuff. With all the wool/floss you have in the filters, I can't imagine what could be causing the tiny specks.

Filter Question

Hello 0shay...

Why would you ever have to treat you tank??? If you've set up and follow a sound tank maintenance routine which includes changing half the water and servicing your filter equipment every week, there won't be a reason for treating your tank.

You don't need to use much carbon in your filter. I use a small pad to keep odors down. The importance of carbon in the filter is overemphasized. Large, weekly water changes do a lot more for your tank than carbon.

If your tank is cloudy an extra HOB is helpful. I use one occasionally and put just polyfiber pads in the filter. The polyfiber will filter out the smallest particles and gets the tank water crystal clear in just a day or two.

B

revchristinejday said:
hmmmm. Did you rinse your ceramic rings & biorb rocks first? Sometimes the they throw off stuff when you rinse them. I guess the only change I would make is I would have some coarse sponge somewhere in the bottom of one of the filters to catch big stuff. With all the wool/floss you have in the filters, I can't imagine what could be causing the tiny specks.

I dont know? Maybe its sand because hasent cleared up :(

Back
Top Bottom