Filter question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hb3133

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a Whisper Power filter 20 for my 20 gallon tank. While doing some maintenace, I notice the water has starting to flow back out from the chamber where the main tube comes up from the tank. Any ideas on why and how to correct this problem?

not exactly replace it. most people say swish it around in used tankwater, but i find washing it with a hose works better. but if you live in a city you'll probally have chlorine in your water.

Also clean out the intake tube as these get coated and slow down the flow - but the main problem definitely sounds lke a clogged cartridge. I rinse them out under strong tap water, but only if the tank is mature and not recently cycled.

After swishing around the Whisper Bio-bag filter cartridge in the tank water I had just emptied, the filter worked fine. But now the same problem is occuring after only a few days. Should I just buy a new filter cartridge?

did you swish it in the tank or the tank water in a bag or bucket then dispose of the dirty water?
it takes pretty vigorus cleaning to get it up to par IME..

I cleaned it in the water changing bucket, after doing a 20% water change. It seems to be working fine now. I think I now know what I did differently the first time. During the first filter cleaning, I just swished the filter bag in the water. This time I swished and also squeezed the bag numerous times. I hope this does the job.

The filter floss bag needed weekly cleaning on all of my Whisper filters.. It traps gunk well but having to clean it is the price I had to pay. :p

Back
Top Bottom