filter questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dax29

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I think that, after my filters have been in about 3-4 weeks, they get gunked up enough so that the water flows back into the tank through the overflow outlets unfiltered. I say this because my wheels on the BioWheels slow down until they turn intermittently due to the increased water flow inhibition caused by filters getting clogged. This may be to some a very elementary finding but it is a new discovery to me. I've only had BioWheel filters for 3 - 4 weeks now am I'm noticing this. It probably happens to other filters too but is not as noticeable with them. I have noticed that when I put a cheapo filter in my Tetra Whisper 30, water flow is only maximum for a week or two before I see water coming through the overflow outlet which is located at the same point that the intake tube comes in just above the motor.

Can someone confirm this for me?

I do not plan on changing the filter immediately b/c I don't like losing the bacteria, but I do plan on rinsing them in aquarium water obtained via a PWC. I rotate changing out my multiple HOB filters so that biological activity does not cease when a filter is changed. Is this a good plan? How long should a replaceable filter last?

I have BIO-Wheel filters on two of my tanks and I have to change the filter pads in them at least once a month. You may also find it helpful to remove the intake tube and clean it with a flexible brush as algae can stay in there and slow down water flow. Rotating the order in which you change out the filters on a tank is a good idea if the only biological filtration they have is the filter cartridge. For BIO-Wheel filters this isn't necessary. The length of time a filter cartridge should last is dependent on a number of variables including fish stocking levels, type of fish in the tank, whether a tank is planted or not, etc. Generally it is a good idea to change out the filter cartridge after a month of use.

Your bio-wheels do not have to rotate at a fast speed to be effective.They tell you that when the bio-wheels get slow and rotate very slow it is normal.IN less the wheels stop completely do not touch them.They are still doing there job if they are very slow.Yes,the filters usually get changed once a month or so.You could rinse them in your water change water and get a little more out of them if you wish.I have bio-wheels also and they have slowed down alot since they were new two months ago.

Thanks. I've got some new Penguin replacements to go in so I'll be good to go. T

Back
Top Bottom