Filter Schedule

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Treacan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi:
I'm new here. I have a question about filtration. I have a 30 gallon tank with an Aqua-clear 300 filter started 30 days ago. I have about ten fish in it for now: Guppies, tangerine platys, neons, Swordtails and two mystery snails. I have just started a ten gallon tank with an Aqua-clear mini for fry if it becomes necessary.

My question is about the frequency of filter changes. Aqua-clear instructions calls for the foam part to be replaced every two months. The carbon active every month. The biomax every three months. Also monthly cleaning or rinsing of everything.

The reason I ask is that I just bought a second hand filter and heater for my ten gallon tank from someone closing his fish room. He had been raising Angle fish and he claims that all he ever used in his filters was the foam.

Ben

Welcome to AA!

First, read up on cycling with fish here on AA. It's crucial to understand the nitrogen cycle if you want a healthy aquarium.

Second, never replace the filter media unless it's falling apart with the exception of carbon.

You'll just have to wring out the sponge in a bucket of old tank water once or twice a month. I've been running the same sponges in my AquaClears for more than a year.

The carbon does get plugged up, but I don't run it unless I'm trying to remove medication or tannins from the water, which is rare.

The biomax is just very porous ceramic that provides a lot of surface area for beneficial bacteria colonies. No need to replace that either.

When you replace the filter media, you lose your nitrifying bacteria, causing your tank to cycle and, possibly, fish deaths.

Filter Scedule II

Thank for your advice. It looks like I need some test equipment rather than a lot of filters changes.

Ben

Use 2 foam inserts along with the bio rings. Change the foam when it starts to disintegrate. I have some over 10 years old.

Back
Top Bottom