Filter setup for 40g breeder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rokuzachi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I toodled on down to Petco and cashed in on their $1 per gallon sale, got myself a 40 breeder for our 3rd tank. I thought I might try to change it up and wanted some opinions on what y'all think would be best for a 60/40 pfs/eco complete, lightly planted low light tank. The residents are likely a solo or duo of Orandas with a small cleanup crew if I only get one.

1.) 2x Fluval U4s. My brain tells me with (coarse) sand in such a shallow (16") tank, that this probably isn't a good idea, but I like the thought of having nothing hanging on my tank since it needs to look as uncluttered as possible.

2.) 2x Fluval C4s. This is my "I'll try something new" version of having a single AC110. Any thoughts on what the bio-media capacity of two of these would be compared to a single AC110?

3.) 1x Aquaclear 110. Good old ironclad. If it can't get any better than this, then it just can't.

Canisters for this tank are out of the question unfortunately. No where to hide them! I'm very open to suggestions for other brands that might fit my needs. Thanks!

Why switch up what works great? lol jk I do like AC stuff though.. I will be having a Fluval 405 on my 40, but you said no canisters.

IMO an aquaclear 70 would be plenty for a 40 breeder, the 110 will create more flow than suitable for an oranda.

Oh good point... I've never kept Oranda before. Didn't even think about that.

For some reason even though I know what works I always have the urge to try something new :)

I think I may go with a pair of the next size down so that I can put one near each end of the tank. My planned aquascape has some things in the middle of the tank that might make placing a filter in the center difficult and I don't want circulation to be inhibited by having to place it down at one end.

Thanks guys.

All goldfish need at least 10x the # gallons per hour filtration so I would recommend 2 AC 70's so your plan to balance them on would be good.

Back
Top Bottom