Filter sponge replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tacoeater

Aquarium Advice Activist
I need to replace all four sponges on my Fluval 406 since I noticed they are falling apart on my last cleaning. I'm also running an AquaClear 110 and a ATI Filter Max 3 on both suction tubes. My F406 has all the trays full of Bio-Max rings. My AQ110 also has the rings. Do you think I will run into a cycle by replacing the four sponges and cleaning the rest in tank water like I always do?
60gl tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You're referring to the 4 vertical ones in the red holder ? Since the sponge is primarily the mechanical side of the system I would say probably not, but agree to only replace the two worst ones first then the other two later. You could do all four at once but just watch your parameters closely for a few weeks and if anything is out of place extra WC's.

Curious as to how long you've been running that 406. I have the same and mine are about 2 years old at this point but in great shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Thanks for the tips, yes the four vertical ones on the red tray. I'll do two at a time as suggested.

I have been running my F406 for over 4 years now, the first two years with two very messy red eared sliders that required the filters to be cleaned very often and I think that's what took it's toll on the sponges. They get cleaned every six weeks with my Mbuna's now.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sounds like a good plan then. The RES do provide a lot of junk for sure. I Attack mine about every 6 months but I do WC's every other day so there's really no buildup at all. I guess that's the (dis)advantage of keeping Discus.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Back
Top Bottom