Filter Suggestions for a 75g tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishNCovice

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
tried to search for any relevant topics....found none

anyway here is my question
i recently finished a tank and a stand(46.5Lx22Hx17D)

i need some filter suggestions

i have been contemplating a few different ones
a. Aquaclear 500
b. Penguin 330
c. Emperor 400
d. TetraTec 300-or- 500

if anyone has any input as to which one of these would be better than the other, i would appreciate it, thanks

ps typed my specs into GARF and it said 74.xxGallons!!

pps the tank will be a community tank

try to stick with the canister filters for tanks of that size.....they have more capacity and are usually quieter....i recommend any of the Filstar line ...maybe the XP2 ....or even Eheim 2215 or 2217

Zach

a. Aquaclear 500
b. Penguin 330
c. Emperor 400

Those are all good choices with their own pros and cons. I would reccomend two filters for a 75g tank, so you have some redundancy and also better filtration. Using a single HOB on a 75 tank is really pushing the limits, and if the filter were to have a problem, it could be a very bad situation. Having a canister and a HOB filter gives you the best of both worlds. Pretty much anything from Fluval, Eheim, or Filstar would make a nice addition to a HOB filter on a 75g tank.

I use canisters on my 29, 50 and 80 gals. The tanks are quiet and have great filtration!

What sort of community will go into the tank?

If you're going to go with HOBs (which are generally cheaper), I'd go with the Penguin or Emperor models. 2 penguin 330s from www.bigalsonline.com would only cost you $48 or so, and would be plenty filtration for your tank. These have the huge advantage of biowheels. Biowheels are fantastic ways of keeping the nitrogen cycle functioning in your tanks. I just essentially fully cycled a tank by equipping it with a new 330 with 2 old biowheels. With these and 1 filter old filter cartridge and a medium bioload, I've had NO ammonia at all!!!

I'd have to agree, though, that canisters are generally the highest quality, affordable filtration for tanks this size (excepting sumps etc.). If you're willing to pay a little more, do! Plus, if you ever make this into a planted tank, the canisters are excellent at reducing surface agitation and keeping CO2 in the tank.

Personally if you like the HOBs, I would go with 2 Aqua Clear 500's pretty tough to beat. However, In a tank that size I would go with a Fluval Canister. JMHO

thanks for the quick replies
and all of the suggestions

i think i will prob get the Magnum pro 350 and maybe another filter to supplement

as to what type of community fish, we have right now 1 rainbow platy and 2 blue danios to build around.

my wife does not like 'grumpy' fish, in other words she doesnt like carnivores so we'll see what comes of that. :)

The only time HOB filters get noisy, IMHO, is if the tank water level gets to low.

If its kept right where it should be it makes little noise, I know because I sleep with one 6 inches from my head, and I kill myself when I forget to top that tank off cause it gets annoyingly loud. ONLY when I forget to topoff.

Personally, I would go with two Penguin 330s, Personally Aquaclears are prone to breakage [ Personal experiance ] and I've never had problems with anything Marineland.

and then theres the added added advantage of the biowheels.

Back
Top Bottom