Filter too big? (Current too strong?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darb21

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi AA! Newb alert here... long time lurker, first time poster!

Quick question... what's folks thoughts on a Penguin 200 in a 29 Gal tank?

I set this one up tonight, and it sure does put out a strong current... Its rated for up to 50 Gal, while they have a Penguin 150 rated for up to 30 Gal... should I offload the 200 and pick up a 150? Go with a different filter all together?

TIA for your replies! :)

Yeah, the amount of filtration isn't the issue... I guess I'm more worried about the strength of the current. Should have named this thread better...

It is not that much current. It is less than a ten time an hour turnover your fish will be fine. Most of them will enjoy it.

I've got two aquaclear 50s (the filter formerly known as the aquaclear 200) on my 29gal, just because I had a flare up of some sort of suspended material at one point, and threw my spare on to help pull it out. I liked the resulting clarity from the mechanical filtering, as well as the added surface area for bacteria in the double block filter media so much that I never took it off. The plants wave quite a bit in the current, but the 8 platys (originally 5) seem to be healthy and happy with the movement.

brant said:
I have an emporor 280 on my 29 gal and it works great it does not seem to over power any of my fish either.

I have the Emperor 280 on my 26G and it's absolutely wonderful.

Yeah that shouldn't be an issue. I have a Whisper 30-60 and the Aqua-Tech 20/40 that came with the tank in my 29 gal tank and it doesn't bother them at all.

Back
Top Bottom