Filter upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vicksta

Aquarium Advice Activist
After much debate with my husband we have decided to upgrade the filter on my tank.

I have a 40g breeder.

I am running a Penguin Bio Wheel 200, 200gph and recently added my old Elite Hush 35 (unsure of the specs and can not find them on google). Both are HOB.

It seems to take a while for the water to clear after a PWC and I added the little filter as a top up. Things seem to be looking clearer after the addition.

Despite the Penguins suggestion of up to 50g, I do not think it is quite cutting it.

We had discussed UWG filters however after what I have read there is a 50/50 on those. People seem to either love them or hate them.
So for that reason I will not be doing that.

I like the idea of the canisters, just for the neatness. Sure they have other great qualities right?

I am liking the reviews of the Fluval 305. I am a little bit scared as I have only ever delt with the HOB filters.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction, like, yes the 305 will be more than enough..., here are the additional items you will need to run this...etc...

Thanking you all muchly!

Last edited:
After much debate with my husband we have decided to upgrade the filter on my tank.

I have a 40g breeder.

I like the idea of the canisters, just for the neatness. Sure they have other great qualities right?

I am liking the reviews of the Fluval 305. I am a little bit scared as I have only ever delt with the HOB filters.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction, like, yes the 305 will be more than enough..., here are the additional items you will need to run this...etc...

Yes a Fluval 305 is would be a fine choice for your 40g. If you do, I suggest you go with 100% poly-fill (at any arts & craft store)for the bottom media tray as it will compliment the foam pads and really help polish the water by removing micro debris the foam pads miss. The other trays can have Biomax, or some other brand ceramic rings. No need to do carbon unless you are removing meds from the water.

Back
Top Bottom