filter upgrade recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scott S

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok, so I know I'm technically a bit overstocked.
I have a 100 gallon tank, 60x16x24, and I'm running two Marineland Penguin 350s.
water's clear, test results are good with the exception of nitrates, which run consistently around 80 mg/L.
I have 4 adult severum, 3 firemouths, 7, 3" convicts, and a plecostomus

I'd like to upgrade the filtration to accomodate for my technically overstocked tank. any recommendations appreciated.

ok, so I know I'm technically a bit overstocked.
I have a 100 gallon tank, 60x16x24, and I'm running two Marineland Penguin 350s.
water's clear, test results are good with the exception of nitrates, which run consistently around 80 mg/L.
I have 4 adult severum, 3 firemouths, 7, 3" convicts, and a plecostomus

I'd like to upgrade the filtration to accomodate for my technically overstocked tank. any recommendations appreciated.
Hi Scott:

If the Penguins are working for you, you could supplement with a couple of sponge filters in the tank. In addition to the extra filtration you'll get some extra aeration from them, too, which is helpful in a heavy bioload tank.

the Penguins aren't working, that's the point of the post. I'd like to avoid simply adding more equipment to the tank, especially huge sponge filters. I was thinking about replacing the Penguins with something more effective. I already have a whisper 30-60 bubbler and 2 airstones creating aeration.

I use the Fluval C series HOB's and most swear by the Aquaclear HOB's . Could look into a canister filter . You will need 2 HOB's , but one canister will work . $ is an issue too . Either way just run the new filters with the old for a few weeks and then take the old filters off .

Last edited:
I've been reading on the nitrogen cycle. nitrates, which is what I'm having high readings of, is the last stage and the only real solution proposed for the problem is water changes. I'm wondering if changing to a larger more efficient filter will effect the nitrate levels. the two Penguins are doing their job, they aren't meant to address nitrates.
new line of thinking. would a bigger filter lower amonia, which in turn would lower nitrites, which in turn would lower nitrates? or would bigger filters only provide more of the same result, all amonia converted to nitrite then to nitrate at the same levels. is this simply a product of bio-load?

No mater how big or how many filters the result is the same . The cycle is the same and water changes are the best way to reduce nitrates . Live plants help a great deal too . If you use a prefilter sponge on the intakes of whichever filter you use helps keep them from becoming nitrate factories . In other words the sponge catches all the larger debris and a weekly rinse takes it out of the tank .

Last edited:
so maybe a good question is how do I keep my cichlids from rearranging and destroying live plants? they are constantly moving the fake plants around. I finally had to silicone gravel into the plastic bases to keep them from floating.

I can't answer that , but I have friends that keep cichlids and have live plants in abundance with no problems so I know it can be done....lol

so maybe a good question is how do I keep my cichlids from rearranging and destroying live plants? they are constantly moving the fake plants around. I finally had to silicone gravel into the plastic bases to keep them from floating.
Pots. Terracotta pots.

Fish poop turns to ammonia it turns to nitrite then it turns to nitrate. Only way to lower it is water change. Plants help but don't prevent wc s

Back
Top Bottom