Filteration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

InxayonFinland

Aquarium Advice Activist
Should I go with a single Aquaclear 110 in the middle or two Aquaclear 50's on each side? Would they equal up to be about the same filteration and which would help give me more waterflow?

tecwzrd said:
The 50 does 200gph and the 100 does 500 gph so it's really up to you and what you are using it for. If you do go with the 100 I'd add a ph or two also.

From your other post you say you want this to be a 29 reef tank. With 30+lbs of lr and a couple of strong powerheads you wouldn't even need the HOB.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?p=559885&highlight=#559885

So if i got a couple strong powerhead, i could just go with a canister filter?

Personally I love canister filters. I’ve used the Marineland Magnum filters for over 10 years and feel they are quite reliable. They are easy to use/clean and the micron filter does a wonderful job at polishing the water similar to a diatom filter for a crystal clear tank.

I have 90 lbs of lr in my 55 and it does all the biological filtering and I use the Marineland Magnum 350 Deluxe Filter System for water circulation and for dropping in carbon, Chemi Pure, & Seachem Phosguard

For a 29 gal the Marineland Magnum 250 should give you enough flow. The nice thing about the Magnum 350 is that you can store it below your tank and out of view.

Some other great canister filters are the Eheim Canisters, Rena FilStar, & the Hagen Fluval Canisters.

With any canister filter you will probably want to remove any sponge media/bio balls since these easily collect waste and produce excess no3. I only use the above mentioned chemicals in mine and change those out about every 3 weeks.

Of course if you get a sump you can accomplish all the chemical/water movement as well but it can sometimes be difficult to set one up with limited space under a 29 gal tank. Also the canisters are whisper quite which is why I like them.

Two power heads on opposite sides of the tank pointing up and towards the center along with the canister filter in the center will help eliminate any dead spots. I’d aim for around 200 gph for each ph.

I’d still get at least 30 lbs of lr for your biological filtration and if you need to cut costs a 50\50 mix of base rock and lr will save you a little more than half of going all lr.

Im gettin the magnum 350 deluxe for my 65 gal and some ppl have told me to leave the biowheels off not to use them is this true???

The main reason people say this is because they repeat the mantra on this site that they are Nitrate factories”. I’ve been using the Bio-Wheel for years and have never had a no3 problem. (I have the HOT & 350)

Most of these people that recommend taking them off have never used them personally and if they had they would realize that the main culprit of no3 is overstocking/overfeeding. Bio-Wheels don’t produce no3 out of thin air and as long as you don’t contribute excess nh3/no2 to your system you won’t see excess no3.

With all that said 1.5+ lr per gal is still be best thing to use for biological filtration. If you don’t have any lr than you have to have some kind of filtration so keep the wheels. If you do have enough lr then it’s up to you whether or not to keep them on.

Back
Top Bottom