Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SerLunchbox

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know i am new to the forum but i just figured i would throw my 2 cents in all about filters. Obviously I see a lot of people asking if they get this large filter will it be ok. My personal answer and belief is that you really can't have too much filtration.
I remember someone posting that a large filter is fine in a smaller tank so long as the inhabitants don't mind a strong current. Well, there is ways around this. Infact it is something i am doing now in my 50 gal tank with my Ehiem 2213 (great cannister BTW), i actually have the spray bar 1/3 down the tank wall with the exit holes pointing up at a 45 degree angle or so.

I then hooked a long air bar across the same length of the spray bar. The purpose of this was to determine just how strong a current that it produced. Now i am sure that the current would be slightly stronger in a smaller tank but i personally don't think it would be that great of a difference, by all means, test it out and let me know ... i am quite interested to see how it is. Just watch the bubbles, it will give a real good indication of how strong the current is.

What i have noticed, since changing this one thing is that my fish are now more into spawning then before and that they generally seem more relaxed then having the spray bar pointing straight out having the current directly hit them. The other setup i saw of the spray bar was having it facing the back wall directly but instead of it being horizontal, it was placed vertical. This is something else that seemed to work quite well.

If you are still concerned about having too much of a current in your tank then invest in a hang on the back filter system. I have used them for quite some time and personally i prefer ones with bio-wheels on it (that is just my preference and not necessarily what works the best for you). I am sure this has been posted sometime in the past, but as i said in the start, it is just me throwing my 2 cents in.

Cheers

Kudos to you Serlunchbox for starting this thread. IMO cannister filters are just the best bang for the buck because of versatility and high turnover rate.

Many FW fish come from regions in tropical rivers where the current is quite strong. Positioning of the spray bar attachment efficiently allows for greater control in moving the water column and lessening dead spots in an aquarium.

i was also concerned about having too much flow... using a XP1 in a 18 Gal (70l XP1 is rated at 750 l/hour)

stupid me made a custom hood and cant fit the spray bar, but also its almost the length of the tank!

so i have to use the jet, i fitted the flow reducer thingy and have that more than half open. My fish swim up into the current which runs diagonally (just off corner to corner) across the tank, they love it. So I agree, unless the fish specifically dont like strong currents then i wouldnt worry :)

I use eheims and biowheel hobs on my 50 gal and bigger tanks. I put the eheim spray bar vertical and shooting parallel to the back of the tank. This pushes water to the intake of the HOB.

Back
Top Bottom