Filters -- AquaClear, Whisper, Bio-Wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

An t-iasg

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone,

I'm probably going to start a 15 gallon high tank. I'm going to put my pitbull pleco in it, and get him some tankmates a little later. I have the choice of these filters: AquaClear, Whisper, or the Bio-Wheel (Penguin, not Emperor). I don't know much about filtration, since my betta tanks only have sponge filters.

I was looking on the web a little and the Aqua Clear has media baskets that you can put custom media in -- not as much as a cannister, I'm sure, but I like that feature.

The Whisper says it has an adjustable flow control, and a feature to prevent back siphoning in case of power failure. That sounds good too. I don't think you can put as much custom media in it as the AquaClear.

I've had a Bio-Wheel before, in an Eclipse 3 gallon tank. (I no longer have this tank.) That was a 3 gallon, and this tank will be a 15 gallon, but the thing I didn't like about the Bio-Wheel was that the flow was so strong, and you couldn't customize anything in the filter. Those cartridges were rather expensive, but I wouldn't use the carbon, at least not all the time.

If anyone has likes or dislikes about these filters, please share! :)

The AC has an adjustable flow control, too. Personally, I prefer the ACs for sheer media volume and water turnover....and well-maintained, they last forever. For a 15 gallon, go with the AC200 model.

I was looking on the web a little and the Aqua Clear has media baskets that you can put custom media in -- not as much as a cannister, I'm sure, but I like that feature.

This is the best feature of the AC filters. You get a lot of room inside the filter and you can stack it up however you want. The new ACs all come with Bio Max bio media as well, which works really well. An AC300 holds almost half a gallon of media, and would be fine on a 15g tank if you adjust the flow down a bit.

The Whisper says it has an adjustable flow control, and a feature to prevent back siphoning in case of power failure. That sounds good too. I don't think you can put as much custom media in it as the AquaClear.

The ACs and Penguins have adjustable flow as well. The mechanism to do this with a Penguin is kind of touchy IMO (raise the intake pipe up and down). No need to worry about the back siphoning either, this would not happen un a AC or Penguin unless the water level in your tank was really low, about 1.5 inches down from the top of the glass.

I've had a Bio-Wheel before, in an Eclipse 3 gallon tank. (I no longer have this tank.) That was a 3 gallon, and this tank will be a 15 gallon, but the thing I didn't like about the Bio-Wheel was that the flow was so strong, and you couldn't customize anything in the filter. Those cartridges were rather expensive, but I wouldn't use the carbon, at least not all the time.

If the Bio Wheel is not that important, there is no real reason to get a Penguin. Peronsally I do not even like the Bio Wheels, just another moving part to mess with. My parent's house had a power failure when no one was around, the Bio Wheels on his two Penguin 330s died, and he had an ammonia spike. If that was Bio Max in a AC filter, the bacteria would have been fine. If you still are considering a Penguin, you can just rinse the cartridges if you want to re-use them. The vertical cartridges are simply not as efficient as stacked media in the AC.

What do you think filters water better, 1/2 inch of foam cartridge in the Penguin, or 4+ inches of whatever media you want in the AC? :) The choice is (Aqua)Clear!

That was a bad joke :( :p

I've always used AC for my HOB's. They are very reliable, and they take a beating. I droped one and it cracked. Took some aquarium sealant and fixed it right up. Still working great. I would like to know what some of the others run as media in them. It has space for two kinds. Usually a sponge and either ammo chips or carbon, but you could use just about anything or even double the sponges. If you just use two sponges it is very economical.

Thanks, everyone!
Thanks, Toirtis -- I didn't know the AquaClears had an adjustable flow too. I was really leaning towards them, and now I think that's what I'll get! I know others have liked the Bio-Wheels, and when I had mine there was really nothing wrong with it, but I would prefer another kind of filter. I think I'll like the AquaClear! Grimlock, you have a 15-high, right? Do you like it? I really only have room for a 10 gallon, but with the 15 high I think it has the same footprint as a 10 gallon. So if I put my pleco and some schooling fish in there, it won't get borderline overstocked like I'm afraid a 10 gallon would. Xray, I was reading that the AquaClears come with biomedia now, or you could add your own bio-balls or ceramic media into the basket. I wouldn't run ammo chips on an already cycled tank. They could compete with the good bacteria for the ammonia. Two sponges sound good, or you could choose between a sponge, bio-balls or ceramic, or some polishing floss. You could add carbon only if necessary, and not all the time.

I really like the 15H and other tallish tanks. I have no complaints about it, and it gives you a solid 5g water capacity gain over a 10g. One thing to keep in mind is that a 10g tank does not even hold 10g of water once you fill it with substrate and other items. Instead of just gaining 50% water capacity over a 10g tank, it is more like 60 to 65% increase in capacity of water.

For media in the ACs, do something like this (bottom -> up)

sponge
filter flosss
half a sponge
bio media (or carbon, if needed)

When you clean the tank, toss the floss and replace it, then rinse the filter pads and you are good to go. You get excellent polishing with the floss, and a lot of bio with the ceramic rings.

I looked in your gallery, grimlock, and saw your 15 gallon high. (No FW pictures anymore?) It is a nice tank and I'm looking forward to getting one. I have Visi-Therm Deluxe 25-watt heaters in my 5 gallon tanks and like them, so I'll get another one for the 15 gallon tank. Is yours a 75 watt?

Ah, I got a bunch of pics of my tanks, I just do not use my gallery except for that one pic (which makes my tank look naked!). I have a ton of pics on my computer of both tanks and I stick it up on my webserver as needed.

I only have a 50w in the 15H tank, however I am buying a 100w Titanium heater this weekend. I would reccomend a 75 or 100w for sure, 50w is not much on the tank if it gets chilly in that room.

15H

tank1.jpg

26 bowfront

26g4.jpg

That freshwater pic is from my old apartment when my Coralife fixutre was broken. When I got my new house, I setup it up with the same plants and it look wwaayy better with the PC light :p

Oh yes! There's the pic I remember, with the purple and black gravel. (I liked that gravel, BTW!) And your SW tank looks great! I see the percula (or ocellaris!) and is that a royal gramma hiding in the rock? Someday (some year!) I'll get my SW tank!

I only use Aquaclears and Emperors on my tanks and I really like them both. The Aquaclears are really quiet and I like the Bio Max that comes with them now. I'm sure the AC 200 will be great for your tank. Big Al's sells them super cheap, have you checked them out? :mrgreen:

Yay! You are going to love this bigger tank, and then we have to talk tankmates, and then you'll spot a 46gal bowfront at a yard sale..... :mrgreen:

I KNEW you'd come around!

BTW, is the pitbull not working out in the 10?

Oh no -- confession time :wink:

I didn't get the tank or filter today. I did go to the hatchery, and talked to Eric, the owner, about the concerns I had with the betta and pleco. They are in a 5.5 gallon tank. I was concerned that the ammonia was still at .25. I wondered if the small sponge filter was adequate to filter the tank, with the addition of the pleco, and especially since the sponge filter isn't pulling a lot of water through it -- the flow is turned down by the gang valve to accomodate the betta. Also, the flow rate (I thought) may not be adequate for the pleco's aeration needs -- he can't get air at the top like the betta can. So, I thought -- bigger tank with more filtration!!

Eric said I was feeding the pleco too much, so I'll cut down, which will cut down on the waste too, and said I was worrying too much about the other stuff, like aeration. But really, they are getting along fine, basically ignoring each other, with the betta "making a face" at the pleco once in a while. (Well, I make a face at my husband once in a while too! :lol: ) So the betta and pleco really don't appear to need any new arrangements or anything, so I'll adjust the feeding and see what happens. I did use Bio-Spira, so hopefully the tank will finish cycling uneventfully. I've been pulling out a gallon of water a day for a pwc.

I think my husband was a little disappointed when I didn't come home with a new tank! We do have a place to put this big tank -- in the dining room, but we've been remodeling for the past few years (!) and the dining room is empty now, and collecting various junk! So we really need to furnish it before we stick a tank there. Then we'll most likely be able to fit in a bigger tank than a 15 high! At the hatchery I was looking at so many nice fish! It would be nice to take time to plan, and not just stick the pleco in a 15 high with some tetras because that's all I have room for now. I saw some long-fin rosy barbs, some dwarf praecox rainbows (stunning!) and some rummynose tetras that interested me. So my big tank will happen, and I'll still keep everyone's filter recommendations in mind, and in the meantime I will enjoy my bettas and pleco. Oh, and to "console" myself for not buying a big tank, I got another betta! :D

How many bettas does this make?

the dining room is empty now, and collecting various junk! So we really need to furnish it before we stick a tank there.
Well, hurry up and furnish!!

This new one makes 3! He's a light purple/violet color! I got everything I needed at the hatchery but I forgot gravel, so either I order online somewhere or go back to the hatchery -- 45 minute drive, but that's ok.

Back
Top Bottom