Filtration-155gallon-Eheim 2260 Classic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ady1397

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 155 gal tank.

I bought an Eheim 2260

its rated for a tank size of 400 gallons.

the turnover is 500 gal per hour (3x)

Ive heard that i need at least 6X turnover..?

that seems a little over the top..

Do I need another filter?

Anyone ever own an eheim 2260?Classic?

What about biological Filtration?

What is Priming?

Help!!!?!!! :roll:

Biological Filtration is the bacteria eating the fish poo, bacteria eating those baterium, so on and so forth. They accumulate and reproduce rapidly on filter media.

From my own personal experiance, 3x is going to give you a lot of problems, you definately want atleast 5x turnover. I would add a Fluval 404 or Magnum 300, I love the 404's, very easy to set up and maintain.

Priming is typically manually pumping in water or filling up the filter with water so it doesnt start dry. Fluvals have a manual pump you can use, Magnums you let some water flow in from the vacuum, or fill up partially from the tank or tap. You also want another filter just in case one goes down, the same with heaters, ect.

This is what you were already told in your previous post, and is what most people are going to tell you.

5x-6x turnover per hour is the minimum.

Sati said:
William said:
5x-6x turnover per hour is the minimum.

With that in mind, what's the ideal?

Depends on whats in the tank, if you have fish that like alot of current, more is better.

Same with fish that don't like current, just not so much as above.

So long as your fish arn't being shoved across the tank or being cut in half by a waterjet I'd say its good :D

I know this is mean, but.... it's really, really funny to turn the filter up and watch the tiny little fish *really* fight for their food, lol. I did that on Saturday :p

Back
Top Bottom