Filtration Advice 20 gallon long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nightshark

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi All!
I picked up a 20 long at Petco last month. I need help deciding on a good filter. I have Aquaclear 70s on my 40 gallon, but they are noisy. I also have a AQ 50 on a 16 gallon tank in the bedroom. I think it does an ok job but there are dead spot problems. I'm not really all that impressed with them considering the cost. I do like being able to customize the media though.

What are your thoughts?

Im an Aqua-clear addict, and have never found them to be noisy. Are you sure you dont have something in the impeller area, such as sand thats causing the noise. ?

Flexible media options is a big plus for the AquaClear/Fluval/Hagen series as opposed to proprietary cartridges.
For a 20L you could put a pair of AC30s or AC50s on each end of the tank to help with flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I wish I knew. I've messed with both of the 70s and they still make noise. I run them without tops too. Any other ideas?

I was looking at the API super clean 50 but there aren't many reviews. I'd like not having to deal with cartridges though. How about a canister ?

What if I were to use an HOB that I can find that is quiet and supplement it with a sponge filter?

What if I were to use an HOB that I can find that is quiet and supplement it with a sponge filter?

You can do that. The sponge filter may or may not be necessary, depending on you stocking.
In general, HOB filter run quieter in terms of splash noise the higher the water level. I believe they run more efficiently (less lift resistance to overcome).

Well I figure since all my other filters are aquaclears I'll just stick to those. How does two 30 models sound?

Back
Top Bottom