filtration advice needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alancsilver

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
HI all:

Newbie here.....
I am just starting to set up my new 58 G tank. I am planning on doing freshwater fish and plants and I am wondering how much filtration I need. I have purchased a Penguin Power Head 660 so far.

Since it will be a planted tank, I was wondering if this will be sufficient.

Thanks for the help

alan

A powerhead by itself won't filter the water, it will just move it around. Typically, a powerhead is attched to an UGF. Since this is going to be a planted tank, I doubt you would want one of those. I've never done a planted tank so I may be wrong, but it makes sense to me that way.

You'll probably want to use a HOB filter. Everybody here has there own preference as to brand (I like biowheels, so I buy Marineland), but you'll want something that will filter the tank about 6 times per hour. In your case, something that pumps water at 300 gph or higher.

HTH

[center:bb2ba49155] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, alancsilver!! :n00b: [/center:bb2ba49155]
I agree, a HOB will work ~OR~ a canister filter.
What types of fish are you looking into?

Thanks for the advice

As far as fish, I'll probably strat out with some cory catfish and some barbs, maybe rosy. Then an algae eater. I still need to look into this a little more and see what I really want. In general I would be looking for smaller fish in larger quantities.

In the next couple of weeks I plan to start with the plants first.

My kind of tank! Check out my profile--I have fish from my 50 gal community tank listed. I went for tetras over barbs because they are more peaceful and I wanted to keep dwarf cichlids.

Plants? 58gallons? I'd highly recommend a canister filter, specifically a Rena Filstar XP1, or XP2.

Thanks for the advice malkore. I am going to take a close look at the cannister filter. For some reason, I didn't think about it too much.

I do appreciate the help

alan

Back
Top Bottom