Finally buying lights!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tony1021

Aquarium Advice Activist
After crazy research I am going to buy my lights, I just have to decide which one of the two will be best for my tank.

I have a 55 gallon corner tank which is why it has been extremely difficult to find the right light as my hood can not extend further than 30in.

Option 01 - 24" w/ 1 150 HQI 15k MH bulb and 2 24w T5HO super actinic bulbs and built in fans.

Option 02 - 24" w/ 1 250w 15k MH bulb and 4 24w T5HO super actinic bulbs - no fans.

What's the depth of the tank?
If it's over 20", I don't think the 150w will be enough if you want to keep any and all types of corals. I would go with the 250w and not have to worry about it.

my tank is exactly 20" deep so the 150w mh should be fine, correct?

my tank is exactly 20" deep so the 150w mh should be fine, correct?

Yes. And I would probably swap out at least one maybe both of those T5HO bulbs with the ATI Blue+ bulb. this will give you extra useful (par) light for coral too. Also a plus is that you will be using less electricity and you get fans to keep the tank and lights cooler. I vote for Option one with Blue+ T5 bulbs if they will give them to you instead of the atinics.

I still say go 250 and not worry about it. You may be limited in what you can keep going with the much lower wattage fixture (198 total watts vs. 346 total watts).

Back
Top Bottom