Finally ordered MH lighting Im so happy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evenings

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am so so happy I finally ordered MH lighting for my tank. I was thinking it was the only thing that was missing. I have the skimmer, chiller, 2x96 PC lights, etc..

My Orbit 2x96 PC lights served well but were not strong enough for the type of tank i want so I bought this...

PFO - Pro 36" (2) Metal Halide and (2) VHO Fixture
PremiumHood.jpg

Complete Hood with all Ballasts and bulbs
(2) Metal Halide 175W Metal Halide Bulbs 10K
(2) 95-Watt URI Actinic Bulbs
Outstanding Optics
Tempered Glass Lens
95% reflective Reflector focus's light into the tank.
All Ballasts External
(2) 4" Fans Either PFO standard or IceCap Adjustable Speed
PFO Magnetic Fluorescent Ballast
7.5" High, 12.25"W, Length 25"

I have a 36" 65 gallon tank. Did I go overboard?

evenings said:
Did I go overboard?
Actually depending on tank depth, you could have gone a bit more. I wouldn't worry about this being too much at all.

Cheers
Steve

steve-s i followed the 3-5 watts per gallon rule. Im going to have a total of 350 watts for a 65 gallon. here are the dimesions 36x18x24

evenings said:
steve-s i followed the 3-5 watts per gallon rule.
Bad bad bad rule, find the memory file it's imbeded in and toss it. :p

I believe its 2 feet tall
Add another 8" over the water line (MH must not be too close to the water line) and your at the bottom end for performance on this type of intensity (8+24=32"). In all honesty I would have suggested 2x250w for your tank depth. I wouldn't suggest 175w bulbs on anything over 24-26" total height from the substrate.

Cheers
Steve

thanks steve.. ill call them tomorrow morning and updrade to 2x250w.. ill keep you posted.

Back
Top Bottom