First fish tank setup questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trentm

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I am currently doing my research and looking to purchase a new aquaium. Currently the only aquairums that I find that I am liking are the ALL-Glass modern Series tanks in cherry wood. I was wondering if anyone happens to have this tank and if they are happy with it? I know a couple people that have tanks however their stands and wood have been really worn down and look really bad. I hoping that I am spending the money on something that will last and not fade as much? (75 gallons is what I am currently looking at, should I go bigger?)

In addition to the tank I am trying to figure out what equipment I would need. So far I have come up with the following.

AIRWHIST 1000 pump
Rena heater or ebo jagger (I heard ebo jagger went out of business)
Magnum 350 Pro
Check Valve for the air hose
Eheim Automatic Feeder
Magnum Extsion Tube
Big Digital Temp Alert
Ulti-Net
Eheim Professional 2 2026

Now I think I am just missing some rock, lighting, and food, media for filters and fish and something to make lots of cool buble effects.

I was thinking about flodia crushed coral for my rock in the bottom however I am not sure how I can get a cool mixed a effect. I sorta am not crazzy about white bottoms or black ones. I like some color mixed in with it?

Anyone have any suggestions on this equipement and can suggest a very nice lighting system?

About the only thing I could find was a

FORMOSA DELUXE 65W*4-THREE FAN 260W
or something called a smart light.

I think I am going to go with ciclids but wouldn't mind having equipemtn that could work for both salt and fresh water in case I want to convert later.

Thanks

If anyone has any good pro advice I am listing!! I don't know where I will be able to find some good quality rocks that will create a good display and lots of hiding places and holes for my fish to swim in and out of. I really only have one or 2 supposedly good pet stores in my area.

Is this your fist tank ever? if so, I think you may be getting in over your head with a 75 gallon. I would Most definatly go with a freshwater first. 29 gallons is a good start.

There is quite a bit involved with setting up a tank and with your first one, you will make mistakes which can be quite costly with the bigger tanks. And, if some reason the "aquarium bug" doesn't get you, then you aren't out a ton of money.

As far as freshwater fish are concerned. a 29 gallon tank is much easier to handle.

Danios and Barbs make good starter fish, and are amazing to watch!
If you really want Ciclids, maybe try a 55 gallon. You can always sell it and move up later.

actually this isn't my first tank however its been several years. I am not too worried about doing the work to keep the tank.. I realize that even with the best equipment there will be alot of work. However I want something that will last and look good for years to come. Our last tank had lots of alage problems and I figured it was just because of the way they used to do the filtration and such. I figured the newer stuff would have to much improved and will have less problems than the old way of doing things.

then I think that what you have listed will work well for you. I have a Magnum 350 and I love it. very quiet, very easy to use. I would spend the extra cash if I were you and get the 350 pro with the bio wheels. Hook only one of those up and you should be good to go.

As far as the substraite goes, whats wrong with gravel? I like mixing a small light brown gravel with larger, darker brown gravel with a ratio of 4/1 light to dark. BUt thats just my personal taste. Acually, I would research what natural substrate looks like for the fish of your choosen and find a color to match.

As far as the stand is concerned, I personally avoid the particle board ones, as I believe that particle board and water don't mix, LOL. If it is a solid wood stand or is made of wrought iron then you won't have to worry about anything but the cosmetic appearance.

I don't think the tank is too big, as the bigger it is the easier it is to maintain the conditions. If you use coral substrate you will buffer your water and raise your pH, which is great for African cichlids and livebearers. It is a poor substrate for digging fish (it is on the sharp side) so choose your substrate to go with the fish you want to keep.

If you go with 260 watts of lighting you are over 3wpg so you might have some algae issues, and if you are not growing plants or coral then it might be overkill and not necessary. Maybe the 4x55w FW Aqualights by Coralife, or go with a kit from AHSupply.com.

Rocks can be had for cheap from a quarry or a garden center, and depending upon (again) whether you want to buffer your water you will need to decide if you want calciferous rock or inert, but they are much cheaper than at the LFS.

Good luck and kudos to you for planning ahead!! :D

RocketSeason said:
And, if some reason the "aquarium bug" doesn't get you, then you aren't out a ton of money.

Hehe....My ten gallon tank cost me more than a hundred bucks to setup, and I didnt pay for the tank, substrate and half of the plants! Either I got decent stuff, too much stuff or I just dont know where to buy the "stuff"!

Back
Top Bottom