First Timer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fakefishies

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,

I'm not all that adventurous when it comes to live fish, so when I decided to do my home theater in an under-the sea mermaid theme and settled on buying an aquarium to top the room off, I did what anyone who is terrified of handling live fish would do - I bought some plastic fake floaty fish and silicone jellyfish for my tank.

This is my first time ever owning an aquarium, and pretty much thought I didn't need to put a whole lot of thought into it since I wasn't going to be filling the tank with real fish. Well, it's not going so great. The tank set-up looks great and everything was fine, but now three days later, my once crystal-clear water has now turned all murky, and I can't really figure out why. I thought that only happened when real fish were in the water. All my gravel, trees, and ornaments were washed throughly before filling the tank.

My tank is a 20-gallon Grreat Choice Aquarium Starter kit and it came with an internal filter, which I thought I wouldn't need. Can someone tell me why my water may have gone murky after just a couple of days and does not using the filter have anything to do with it? Is having just a display tank without live fish going to be just as much maintenance as one with fish?

I'd appreciate any advice anyone can give! :)

If you're not doing live fish?? Use distilled water and a circulation fan/powerheads.. No filters needed..

Back
Top Bottom