Fish feeders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sailorlady

Aquarium Advice Newbie
St. Petersburg FL, just moved here from the Virgin
Hi, Newbie here,
I have to go away for about 6 days in about 2 mos. Have 12 fish, Freshwater, 20 gals, ( I know, I know...put BioSpira in yesterday and everybody looks good....so far). I have had the tank for about 3 wks. now, with fish (I know, I know).
My question is: has anyone got a recommendation for a reliable fish feeding mechanism which will take care of them at least once/day while i am gone for this time? Not too worried about the price, just the care of these lil survivors.
Sure would appreciate any help here.
Margo

From my readings (at least in SW) those feeders don't work too well. Do you have some one that can check on and feed, do FW top-offs on your tank?
I am going to move this to the General Hardware/Equipment Section.

Most any of them you find that are battery driven will work fine. I have one I keep around for when I am away for more than 3 days and can't find anyone to come over and feed the tank. Esp for FW tanks. They are not perfect but in a pinch they work well enough to bridge the gap

I actually just got back from a 8-day trip and my feeder worked perfectly. I have the Top Fin feeder for $23.99 at PetSmart. It has settings so you can chose a feeding amount, and for it to feed every 12 or 24hrs. I set it up, played with it a bit, and when I got back, everyone was still alive!

Thanks to all

Appreciate the help...plan for sure to get one early to set up, use, observe. Make sure the fishies are getting fed properly.
BTW, put in Bio Spira two full days ago, and the ammonia is still reading high...just checked for nitrites, and they are whacked out too. Should I leave it alone for now, or use something like Nitra-zorb to remove it. Also, would a partial water change now help? Just didn't want to disturb the BioSpira too soon. Haven't cleaned any element of my AquaClear 30 gall. filter either for the same reason.
Any ideas about when I might see a balance coming here? Just so sorry for all these questions, but that'll teach me for taking advice as such a newbie, with too many fish too soon. :confused: Margo

U need a water change to keep the Amm and nitrite in check. With that many fish in an uncycled tank your going to need to do alot of water changes to keep everything at a reasonable level.

IMO a fishless cycle would have been a better option. Building up your bacteria to handle 12 fish is going be a grind. Test alot and water changes alot as well.

Alot of people use the BioSpira. Never found a use for it myself.

I am painfully aware now....

couldn't agree with you more, but was ignorantly led down this primrose path. Am trying to dig myself and them out of this.
Will take your advice seriously. Have been doing water changes up to 25%...am now using Prime as I have been told it's easier on the fish then Stress Coat. So, in the morning will do a big change with Prime and keep doing so.
I so appreciate this help.:-?
Margo

Marineland replies....

Just had a loooonnnggg talk with a wonderful long termer person at Marineland, Marineland - Smart Design. Superior Performance., makers of BioSpira. In my case, I am to stop feeding my fish for 3-4 days--:(, do no water changes for at least two-three more days, put a few algae flakes in for the algae eater (make sure he gets it), water test once per day at a consistent time of day (using ABI Master test kit), consider a second dosing of Bio Spira (she was very non-commercial about this) with the next water change which should be no larger than 20%, in my case use spring water instead of my hi ammonia water here, and see what happens. She's quite ok with my prognosis, and of course theirs.
so, will keep u posted on that.
The fish are not appearing to be stressed in any way so far, wk. 2.5----but remains to be seen. margo

I presume you mean your water has high Chlorine/Chloramine levels not Ammonia. I'm not sure what someone would recommend leaving 12 fish in a tank w/ high Ammonia and Nitrite levels and do no water changes but it sounds like you have your plan.

Good luck w/ it.

No, not chloro anything

The ammonia is so high 'cause the tank wasn't properly cycled with good bacteria to take care of their poop naturally. So, the Bio Spira adds the good bacteria and begins the process of neutralizing that ammonia from the poop etc. With so many fish (too many) I have hi counts of it. She doesn't want water changes immediately due to trying to get the thing equalized. Will do a water change in 2 days...and another shot of the Spira.
Chloro/amines not an issue.
Also the spring water (no RO, due to no minerals) will not come loaded with ammonia as my tap water is even passing thru a PUR water filter at the sink. jeezz....this is what we all drink. Will be re-thinking the usefulness of that expensive gizmo.
My fish, right now, look very lively and healthy...they will be hungry in 3-4 days, but as she says, she's a fish rescuer from some horrible keepers (even worse than me :() and they will eat stuff which is now in the tank. Don't like it, but it's the way I will go...less poop, less ammonia until this all settles down.
She also says I might lose some :(....but will try my best. Margo

Back
Top Bottom