Fitting a glass lid in a Top Fin tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nakedfin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I bought a 29g Top Fin tank kit from Petsmart. So far, so good, but it came with a black acrylic lid and I want to put in a glass lid so I can add a better LED strip up above. I bought the 30" Top Fin glass lid - doesn't fit. It's about 1/2" too long. It's 29 1/8" and I need 28 5/8".

I haven't been able to find any 28.7" (or 28 5/8") lids other than one from Marineland that appears to be discontinued - so now I'm thinking about trying to make this Top Fin one fit. I don't think this is tempered glass... so I guess I could have it cut. Has anyone tried this?

I haven't tried cutting any. I usually measure by centimeters because it gets closer on little stuff and the lids have that. I also have a top fin 55g and changed to the top fin glass lids for the 55g. Used the black plastic lids on two of my hospital/ qt tanks. They are ML and Aqueon. Fit both perfect. The TF glass lids do not fit the TF 55g. They are about a cm too long even tho it says they fit. Ridiculous

I bought a 29g Top Fin tank kit from Petsmart. So far, so good, but it came with a black acrylic lid and I want to put in a glass lid so I can add a better LED strip up above. I bought the 30" Top Fin glass lid - doesn't fit. It's about 1/2" too long. It's 29 1/8" and I need 28 5/8".

Consider having the glass to cut for you by a local shop, if you have access to one. Doing so let's you choose many aspects of the purchase, including hardness and tint.

Consider having the glass to cut for you by a local shop, if you have access to one. Doing so let's you choose many aspects of the purchase, including hardness and tint.

That's my question I guess... if someone could take off as little as 1/4" from the end of a sheet of glass. I'll reach out to some places and see if that's possible.

That's my question I guess... if someone could take off as little as 1/4" from the end of a sheet of glass. I'll reach out to some places and see if that's possible.

Considering the status of most markets it should be easy to get things just the way you want them. Treat them like any other retail concern and dare them not to accomodate you, with a smile. ;) Don't forget to have the edges smoothed. Consider also having the entire unit replaced with hardened glass. ALL glass should be hardened, IMO. Good luck, nakedfin!

Considering the status of most markets it should be easy to get things just the way you want them. Treat them like any other retail concern and dare them not to accomodate you, with a smile. ;) Don't forget to have the edges smoothed. Consider also having the entire unit replaced with hardened glass. ALL glass should be hardened, IMO. Good luck, nakedfin!
I found a place that will cut it. I just want to make sure they can smooth/sand the edges down, as you point out, so nothing is too sharp.

Back
Top Bottom