Flexible tube plumbing for drain lines okay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scoot

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm building a 150g built-in setup. Going over plumbing specs now.

Is flexible vinyl tubing appropriate for the two drain lines to the sump? The sump is about a 14' drop to the basement below.

Of course I'm using PVC for return plumbing (two separate mag 18 pumps).

Scoot said:
I'm building a 150g built-in setup. Going over plumbing specs now.

Is flexible vinyl tubing appropriate for the two drain lines to the sump? The sump is about a 14' drop to the basement below.

Of course I'm using PVC for return plumbing (two separate mag 18 pumps).

I don't see why not, but make sure you use the reinforced tubing so that it maintains it's shape and does collaps.

My Store bought sump system used a Flexable Vacum Pool type hose.

You just want to make sure there is not kinks in the hose so that your flow won't get restricted.

-TheChad

Vinyl, vacuum hose, or pvc would be fine for the drains. I have flexible pvc for my drains, but they r very short since the sump is under the tank. I would probably lean towards vacuum hose for your returns since you have such a long drop. Its more flexible and seems to cut down on noise of falling water.

So reinforced vinyl/flexible tubing is okay for drains. No negatives (other than it tending to "pinch")? Its a very straight drop, so I don't think any pinching would be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom